Question Printer HP Deskjet 2050 - not recognized by Win 10 PC/Driver Installation fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

lead341

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Good Morning Everyone,

I am using a HP Deskjet 2050, together with a Win 10 notebook (MSI GF 75 Thin). The printer is connected by USB to the notebook and always worked well. Suddenly, a couple of days ago, It stopped printing (in the printer queue the printer was shown as offline). So I uninstalled the driver and tried to reinstall it, however it did not work. Whenever the pc tries to connect by USB, it actually registers the USB connection, but then shows a connection fail, as if there was a problem with the USB connection at the printer:

1) I connected to several different USBs on the notebook, as well as via OTG cable to my Xiaomei Redmi Note 8 cellphone (via the hp print plugin), but nothing connects.

2) However, I then tried to connect at another (older) Win 10 notebook and the printer works without any problem. Later we tested it on a desktop pc (also Win 10) and it also works fine.

So I can safely conclude that the problem is not with the printer, but with my own MSI notebook (in case of my smartphone it is probably a compatibility issue with Android, so I rather do not consider this).

What could be the cause of the problem? As I wrote, I tried all different USB ports without result (I should add that with other peripherals like mouse, Harddiscs ec. they work absolutely fine, and the printer does react to the USB connection during install, it just shows then a connection fail).

I added a screenshot on google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rrw7xN_eYo7azs4nkznuYrnx1JHrzIWb/view

I also used several different usb cables - without success.

If anyone has an idea I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thank you and best regards,

Andreas

lead341

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the printer does appear under "printers & scanners". However, below it states "nicht verbunden" (in english "not connected").

I noticed something else quite strange today: I also cannot save pdfs anymore (when I go on "print", and then select the printer...in this case the pdf program), neither install pdf programs (like pdfforge). I got the feeling that this is somewhat related.

View: https://imgur.com/a/4mrCqQ0

I posted two pictures on imgur:

One shows the window that appears when the notebook attempts to connect to the printer and fails, the other shows the error message when I try to install the program pdfforge. I don´t know how or why, but I believe both issues are somehow connected. I must have changed something on the pc that I am not able to recreate.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
On the Win 10 notebook try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

On the Win 10 note book look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

What you are looking for is some error code, warning, or informational event that occurs just before or at the the time the USB printer lost connectivity.

Do you have HP Smart installed? If so open the application and check printer configuration settings.

pdfforge - this application?

https://download.pdfforge.org/

Take a close look at any pdfforge end user configuration settings. If nothing seems astray, then uninstall pdfforge.

If the printer still show as unable to connect then delete the printer drivers and reinstall from scratch.

lead341

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated.

The Event log does not show anything remarkable. The entry "information" contains the following:

Das Produkt wurde durch Windows Installer installiert. Produktname: HP Deskjet 2050 J510 series - Grundlegende Software für das Gerät. Produktversion: 28.1.1328.0. Produktsprache: 1031. Hersteller: Hewlett-Packard Co.. Erfolg- bzw. Fehlerstatus der Installation: 0.

Translating to english:

The product was installed by Windows Installer. Product name: HP Deskjet 2050 J510 series - Basic software for the device. Product version: 28.1.1328.0. Product language: 1031. Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Co.. Installation success or failure status: 0.

The process of adding service usbscan for device instance ID USB\VID_03F0&PID_8711&MI_00\6&1895D65D&59&0000 ended with status: 0.

So apparently no visible error. Still, it could not connect to the printer (she the screenshot with the big "X").

1) When I enter the device manager, the printer is shown under "printers" (HPDeskjet 2050 J510 Series). it does not show any error. However, when I click on it and go to the last tab (events) it says that it requires further installation. I do not know what this means, but probably refers to the fact that the USB could not really connect.

2) Now when I go under "Hardware and Sound", and then "Devices and Printers", the printer does not show up (just Fax, microsoft xps document write, OneNote for Windows 10 and stuff like that).

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Both laptop and printer configured for German language use - correct?

Is HP Smart installed on the laptop? If so, take a look at the Printer Settings "button".

Explore and review as necessary. Ensure that the various configuration settings are as expected. Check all details.

Failing that:

My suggestion is to uninstall the laptop's printer drivers along with any associated HP utilities.

Ensure that you have a known working USB cable.

Manually download the printer drivers directly from HP's website. Re-install and reconfigure.

Determine if the printer will then connect.

Basically a "do - over".

lead341

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

The laptop is configured for German language, the printer I bought in Brazil (second hand), where I am also using it currently.

I tried to install HP Smart, but it does not work. For example when I am at the microsoft site and click on "get", nothing happens. I also tried from other sources, bit wants to redirect me to microsoft, but without any effect. Again no idea why.

I did already a complete uninstall of the driver several times (and subsequently running ccleaner and spybot). But whenever I then attempt to re-install the driver, it never finishes and brings this error when I connect the USB cable.

lead341

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
You are quite right of course - the same thought ocurred to me too - that is re-installing the entire system definitely would solve the issue. Nevertheless I would very much like to know what might have caused this. I do now remember that the day before I used the program "Autoruns" to deactivate some programs from starting on windows start up, but nothing critical, and I followed a guide to the letter. But there might be some connection.
Anyway, the system besides this, is working perfectly, no errors, no performance issues, no crashes (during games etc.), no error messages in event log....but anyway, when I find some time I will re-install windows.
Nevertheless your replies (Ralston, ex_bubblehead) were appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.