Question Printer install failure

Dec 15, 2022
I have a Canon MG2522 printer installed via usb on win7 desktop. I would like to install it via the network on my Dell win10 laptop. I cannot seem to get this to work. If I choose "my printer is not listed", should I go to the ip address line to install it.? It then shows an IPP window. I don't want to mess up the install on the win7 - this won't do that will it. Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
"This printer?

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mg2522

The printer uses USB to connect to a host computer. I did not note any other printer ports. The printer would need to have an Ethernet [LAN] port to be available as a network printer. Versus a USB shared printer.

For other computers to use the USB printer, the printer must be shared by the host computer which must, in turn, be on the network and available to other network computers. Meaning that the Dell laptop host would always need to be on and connected to the network.

Just to be sure: the requirement is to connect the printer to the Dell laptop and share the MG2522 with other network computers.

Or are you trying to configure the Dell Laptop to join the network, have access to the WIN 7 Desktop and the MG2522 being shared by the desktop.

More information needed.

Dec 15, 2022
Yes, that is the printer.

I am trying to configure the Dell Laptop to join the network, have access to the WIN 7 Desktop and the MG2522 being shared by the desktop.

No, Not trying to connect to other network computers.

Should I go to add printer and use the "my printer isn't listed" option and enter the IP address? Or what?
Thanks so much.

Ralston18

Titan
The MG2522 printer is being shared by the WIN 7 Desktop and therefore the printer does not need its' own IP address.

What is needed is that the Dell laptop be granted access rights to the network where the WIN 7 printer host resides.

And then the Dell laptop must be granted access rights to the WIN 7 printer host itself and the hosted MG 2522 printer.

However, Windows 7 is no longer being supported - may or may not be a factor.

Start here:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-7-windows-10-share-printer/

Make note of any problems (error codes, pop-ups, etc.) if sharing continues to fail.

Post accordingly.

Dec 15, 2022
One last thing - I was able to install this printer on the admin account but I want to be able to print from the standard account. I don't understand why I have not been able to do that. I will try your suggestion however. Thank you.
Additional info - did all steps as detailed. I had already been down that road but still did not install on my Dell win10. Did the sharing and still nothing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022
I went to the Dellwin10 and installed it - I used the Canon install disk. Went through all the steps but it still fails. I noticed the win7 has the following port: USB002 virtual print port - the Dell has an lpt1 - would that make a difference? Thank you.

Dec 15, 2022
Not sure how that driver update is going to work. The printer is physically cabled to the win7 pc. Not the Dell. I downloaded them however. Here is message - "cannot detect the printer" -- I will try it again but since it is not physically on the dell win10 can't see it working.

CONCUR??

Ralston18

Titan
You can award a Best Answer by clicking the trophy icon to the left of the avatar in whatever post led to the solution.

That will automatically mark the post solved. Green "Solved" and green border

[Note: you cannot award Best Answers to yourself.]

If a best answer is not applicable then "SOLVED" can be edited into the Question Header.