Printer internal connection issues

JNorth

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hello,
RE:HP Photosmart Printer 7150
About a month ago my printer stopped connecting with my HP laptop. I use windows xp with service pack 3 installed. I tried using the printer with another laptop and it works great. I have installedand reinstalled the printer and drivers and updated drivers. The USB ports work fine with other peripherals. The printer installs fine and is listed as my defult printer. The HP utility update for diagnosing printer issues cannot connect with the printer and so cannot diagnose the problem. I will appreciate any other ideas/advice.
Thanks

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

JNorth

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I have tried several different times and many different dates prior to the problem and has not resolved the printer not printing. I always get the message ' cannot be restored to the date' I have chosen. As a test, I can restore to more recent dates than the start of my printer issues. Again, thanks.

Click:

Start>Settings>Printers and Faxes>
Right-Click your printer, select Properties
Click "Ports" tab.
A list of ports will appear. One port will be checked for your printer to use.
Your printer should be using the "USB001 Virtual printer port for USB" (and your printer listed in same row).