Printer keeps jamming

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I have a brother mfc-j825dw printer. When I try to print something, the paper will get jammed. I clean it out and it happens again. Tried different paper and didn't help. I looked it over but can't really tell if something is messed up, I am no printer technician. Is there something I can do that can get this printer working again?

There's probably some little tiny scrap of paper in there somewhere. All you can do is search. Grab a flashlight and examine it millimeter by millimeter. Open every cover and search every angle.

If you can't find anything. Throw it out. They aren't worth the cost of a diagnostic. Let alone worth the cost of a repair.

Most pieces are pressed together. So, you can't even disassemble most printers without breaking something.

Ralston18

Titan
New printer or existing printer? Has it always jammed and the jam is getting worse?

Any error codes?

Any pattern to the jams; e.g., 10 pages = jam, 20 pages = jam?

Do you "fan out" the paper before loading the tray? Just to loosen up the paper sheets and reduce them from sticking together?
Is the paper really dry and light?

Fill the tray only 1/2 to 3/4 full. See if that helps.

Rollers: look at the rollers. If they appear glazed then clean with a swab and rubbing alcohol.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

This is an existing printer, not sure exactly how old 3-4 years, maybe more.

No error codes, just says to remove the trays, open the covers to remove the paper.

Never jammed up in the past but now can't print one page.

Yes I fan out the paper. Not sure if it is considered dry and light, just standard paper.

Tray probably only 1/2 full, maybe less.

Ralston18

Titan
You may end up having to follow velocity4g's suggestion.

Printers are not made to last and their real purpose is to make you purchase more ink from the manufacturer.

Cheap printer - expensive ink. Printer may be at EOL (End of Life).

Do try reinstalling the printer drivers.

And again open up the printer (per velocity4g) and check everything and everywhere.

Look for some small defect - twisted metal, plastic, cracks, burrs, small screw sticking out, some surface worn down. Anything along the paper path including tiny paper scraps. Including the trays.

Any deformation or misalignment can cause jams.

Brother's website might have something helpful within their forums and FAQs. Look for what is said as well as what is not said.

They tend to not mention problems with a particular line or model....

And do take a look at the rollers. If they cannot maintain a smooth and continuous feed the printer will jam. Look at any gears that you can see.

If you can find a working printer, compare the two. You might notice some difference.

Up to you to decide how far to push self-repair attempts.