Question Printer network issue???

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Hi. I have a printer that I know works as an old computer can print off of it currently. I bought a new computer recently and set up the printer with the newest drivers and my computer can detect it. Whenever I print something, it sends it to the printer, but when I look at the print job status, it say, "cancelled" even though I didn't cancel it.

I've tried everything I know. Disabling antivirus, firewall, reinstalling drivers, rebooting both the computer and the printer, rebooting the network (business network and everthing works on a switch. The old computer was moved to a different location. It still works in the new location and the old, all is wired via patch cables/ethernet, but new computer doesn't work even though it detects the printer.) I am at a loss at this point as even the HP printer doctor program and the live chat help didn't fix the issue.

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Computers (old and new) OS information at least.

Printer HP - what model?

What other devices are on the business network?

You mentioned a switch but there should be a router somewhere: make and model?

Do you have admin rights to the router? Depending on the router there may be some display of the connected devices. And perhaps log entries (if logs are available and enabled) that may be capturing some related network issue.

If the old printer was connected via Ethernet was it using a static IP address?

Are you able to print out the configuration pages for the old printer? The configuration pages should present the printer's current configuration settings.

You may find more information by opening Reliability History/Manager or Event Viewer on the new computer.

The failed/"cancelled" attempts to print may have been logged with an error code or warning. Perhaps even an informational event.

No need to start changing things or applying fixes, etc.. For now just try to learn more about the working environment and its' overall configuration.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
More information needed:

Printer HP - what model?

Do you have admin rights to the router? Depending on the router there may be some display of the connected devices. And perhaps log entries (if logs are available and enabled) that may be capturing some related network issue.

Are you able to print out the configuration pages for the old printer? The configuration pages should present the printer's current configuration settings.

You may find more information by opening Reliability History/Manager or Event Viewer on the new computer.

The failed/"cancelled" attempts to print may have been logged with an error code or warning. Perhaps even an informational event.

No need to start changing things or applying fixes, etc.. For now just try to learn more about the working environment and its' overall configuration.

I am going back there at noon today (about an hour or so from now) and I would be able to. Anyway, it's a Samsung X7600 series (I believe specifically a 7500GX ? Not sure off the top of my head). All computers in the building are running Windows 10 or 7, and the one we are having issues with plus the old one that it replaced are Windows 10 as well. The only other devices on the network are a couple of computers, and then the central printer. The router is right next to the switch, it's a standard CenturyLink box provided by the ISP, which is of course also CenturyLink. Again off the top of my head I don't know the model or make, but yes I do have admin rights to it and I am able to login to its online UI via its gateway.

Also the printer was never changed, only the computers. The printer is the same, and every other device can print to it except the new computer. I want to say it was automatically configured by the printer therefore DHCP and not static, correct? (Also I did try switiching over to wireless to see if it was some sort of ethernet issue, and that didn't fix anything).

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
More information needed:

Printer HP - what model?

Future me here, just wanted to say that I got it working. The driver needed to have an add-on.

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Thank you for the update.

However, I am curious about "driver add-on".

Perhaps just an updated driver....? Would like to know the specifics.

Thanks.
I am actually not sure. We had to have the local company who installed the printer in the first place come on with a virtual assistant and they redownloaded the newest driver and then downloaded something else and dropped it into the driver's folder, can't remember exactly what it was. Apparently it couldn't properly run off of the driver itself. I've never heard of an issue like that, but hey, it works now.

Ralston18

Titan
"Working" and "newest driver" …. - okay.

What it may be doing via "virtual assistant" and "downloaded something else..." - not so okay.

I would be remiss if I did not express some concern about that. In any network environment but especially in a business environment.

Press them for more information about the software and what was done. And run your own AV scans etc..

Keep an eye on computer and network activities.

Hopefully nothing is amiss but you should not be kept in the dark about the "fix".