Question printer non wireless.

Jan 3, 2019
Well there's a tricky but simply solution for you. While it's true than most new printers comes with Wireless capabilities, most also come with an Ethernet port for wired network usage. so you can disable the Wireless and connect the printer directly to your PC via Ethernet Conector or through a router by disabling the WiFi network and keeping the LAN for wired network. that way you will have a private network without outside intrusion.

Jan 3, 2019
^ yea I know I can connect the printer via a cable and not wireless, but even if so still concerned since it has wireless also built in, and the way they make wireless things it's like they think they're doing you a favor by making everything easily shared by default, even if I don't set up the wireless I'm worried it'll be on some how .

Well you can disable/turn off the Wireless network in most printers, you only have to make sure you can, since they sell All time connected devices(Including some printers) and you cant disable Wireless on those.

You can go to Office Depot or any Computer/Printer Store and ask some sales person or try for yourself if you can turn off the Wireless Network, or checking the Printers Features or Manuals online to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: fnactic_shooter

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
separate flatbed scanner + printer.
Dell 1250c color laser (actually LED which is new technology) I got through Walmart for around $120 shipped. Prints color photos perfect but B&W came out with faded streaks. B&W shipping labels/text comes out fine though. Replacement unit came with the opposite problem; B&W photos printed fine but color photos had slight streaks on whole page, so I kept the first one instead of doing this whole search over again. Printed had probably been sitting for years maybe it'll get better but does what I need it to, and replacement cartridges are really cheap (two black cartridges for $10 shipped aftermarket ebay), cheaper than buying chips and universal toner and hacking toner refills.
Light enough to put on a shelf. Would prefer it keep paper inside unit so no dust enters but this'll be kept in box as my back up just in case I need to print color photos which is rare. Other than that will be using a ~$40 brother monochrome laser printer mainly.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019
^ I think you CAN 'turn off' wireless on these printers, but still unsure if that's completely secure. I did read you can hack a printer and get into the computer/network too, so it's not like the printer is a 1-way signal of data from Computer -> Printer.

I realized I can also just get the non wireless $65 printer (just prints) and the ~$20 used stand-alone scanner (which isn't wireless),, and for how I mentioned that mini scanner probably won't work for thicker things like a driver's license or passport scan, but I could use one of those 'wand' type scanners or simply take a picture with my digital camera which should be acceptable as an official 'scan' of a license or passport I would assume, I mean the camera would probably be even better quality of a scan than a scanner but sometimes an official scan might mean it must be scanned.

I did also find a printer scanner combo that doesn't have wireless, but it does have Fax,
HP - LaserJet Pro MFP M130fn
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-las...e-laser-printer-white/5622273.p?skuId=5622273

but I guess as long as there's no telephone cable to the fax then it won't have a way to bridge data.
I think you're overthinking this wireless thing too much, Yeah you can hack a printer, but if you turn off the Wireless port, then there's no way someone from outside your house could even connect to your printer, the only way will be the wired Ethernet port or USB.