Printer not printing "real black" on glossy paper

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
I have a problem with my new printer.Today I noticed that it's blacks on photo paper weren't "real black".For example, I printed a photo of a man who was wearing a black jacket. when I look under some kind of lights his jacket looks greenish,it has green tint on the paper. Then I tried another photo, this time I scanned a professionally printed photo to my pc and then printed it but instead of a black jacket I saw a very dark blue jacket.

I cleaned the printer's printhead 3 times but it didn't change anything. I continued testing and noticed that if I print using a plain paper and select "plain paper" in the properties it prints blacks very good.And then I printed on a photo paper which is either matte or semi-glossy I am not sure but I chose "matte paper" in the properties tab and the printed blacks were fantastic.

I don't understand why it is not able to print black like blacks/deep blacks on glossy paper...

An update: Hmm, it printed the black line on this link very well on a glossy photo paper:
http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint4Color.jpg

So it is able to print black nicely on a glossy paper but it didn't do it with the other 3 photos I tried...
One of them is:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ubk34-nFvGM/hqdefault.jpg

MichaelKnight

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
I noticed that, if I select "plain paper" instead of "glossy photo paper" in the settings, it prints black great on glossy papers too.It seems the problem happens when I use the glossy photo paper setting...The greenish tint is most visible if I look at it under sunlight shining through the window but like I said if I use "plain paper" setting it creates deep,real blacks under any lighting.

Maybe when I select the "glossy photo paper" the printer doesn't use the black ink and instead use and mix other color inks to create black and it is not good at doing it?

Or is there another reason?

Update:I have read some articles on metamerism and bronzing, I think that may be the reason of my problem because I notice this greenish tint mostly under daylight.