Petemj23

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I'm hoping someone could help. There is probably an eazy fix.
I have a Vista Ultimate x64 machine with my old printer (canon i550) connected. I want to share that printer with another machine on my home network that is running XP x86. I go through all the wizards and I can share files. But when I try to add the printer in XP I keep getting the message: "The server for 'Canon inkjet i550 printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. Then I click on OK to search for the driver and I get "Windows cannot locate a suitable driver.

I have installed the Vista 64 drivers and the XP x86 drivers on the respective machines. I've downloaded the newest drivers from Canon and when I try to add additional drivers to Vista(the x86 driver), I'll direct to it and it gives me the error "The specified location does not contain the driver for the requested processor architecture." But it is the right xp x86 driver! I even installed the driver from the Canon disk it came with on the XP machine, hooked it up directly to the xp box and could print just fine. So the correct drivers are installed, but windows tells me otherwise when trying to connect over the network.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

svantlan

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

I am having exactly the same problem, except the desktop machine with printer attached has Windows Vista Home x64 installed. This is extremely irritating, and I would also appreciate any insight which others could offer. I could not install the driver over the network so I downloaded the most recent from canon. I point XP to that driver when asked, and it says that it cannot use it! The Vista Home x64 machine is a new machine replacing an older XP machine, and I could share the printer attached to it across the network with no problems. The Vista machine came with free upgrade to Win 7 when released. Makes me wonder what kind of fun I am in for once I install that!

Scott

jandir

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
I am having exactly the same issue with a HP Laserjet 3330 printer. I am trying to install the HP Universal Print drivers for Vista 64 on both, the old XP 32 PC to which the printer is connected and the new vista 64 bit PC but no luck. The new PC is going back if this does not work in the next couple of days.

ninjavz

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Same problem. My config is Win Vista as print server, shared, with HP Laserjet 3052, client is Win XP SP3. When the XP connects to the Vista printer it says that it will get the drivers from the server (Vista) but then there are none and asks me to look for them locally. I put the driver CD and nothing, I installed the printer to the XP so that my XP actually has the drivers, and nothing. Then I tried with the install additional drivers option from within the printer sharing in Vista, and again no luck. Microsoft web page seems to have nothing on the issue either!!

any1 help?

kgo08

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I had the same problem and this worked for me. Even though my client is XP and the "printer-computer" is Vista it still worked like a charm. Just swap "XP" for "Vista" if that's the case.

"1. Make sure the XP drivers are up to date and make sure the XP machine is set up to share the printer. In other words it should have a share name like Canon4000.
2. On the Vista machine add a new printer. Tell Vista it's a local printer and use an existing port such as lpt1. Make sure you add the type of printer that is hooked up to the XP machine. i.e. Canon Pixma IP 4000 for example. Click next. Don't print a test page because it wouldn't print on anything at this moment. So click finish.
3. After Vista successfully adds the new printer highlight it and right mouse click and select properties.
4. Click on the ports panel.
5. Click on add a port
6. click on "new port" .... not to be confused with "new port type"
7. It will then ask you to enter a port name. You must enter the name of the xp computer followed by the shared printer name on that computer. So if my wife's computer is called Ann and her Canon printer is shared as Annscannon then your port name will look like this:
\\ann\annscannon
8. If possible turn on bi-directional printing."

After installing printer on client machine (Step 2) I disconnected it and plugged it back into the "printer-computer."
Also, around Step 5, when you add a new port, I added a "Local Port."

Hope this helps you too!

kevin

ninjavz

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Worked like a charm, thanks!
I may add, I first had the LaserJet 3052 installed locally on my XP PC, then moved the printer to the vista server.
Then from the control panel printers I select right click properties, ports, ADD PORT Local Port, and then as the name you give the path to the shared vista printer.

-Miguel

Killjoy_

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
You sir, are a genius.

This worked FLAWLESSLY for getting my HP Laserjet 4000 connected to my Win7 machine, to work on a networked XP box.

Thank you so much =D

:bounce: :wahoo: :kaola: :pt1cable: :lol:

tweaky104

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

OH KEVIN!!!!! What a sweetheart genius you are for sharing this information. i have been beating my head up against the wall trying to get my old canoni550 to connect over my home network to a new windows 7 computer. I am now dancing the dance of joy over my new connection. xxxxxxoooooo much love tweaky104

istadmin

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
You have got to be kidding me. First off thank you a MILLION. I must have installed 1000 printers and expect this easy operation to take all of 2min. You can image my surprise when an XP machine decides to pull this little stunt. Corp network with Server 2008R2 as the print server, nope. Direct with TCP/IP printer port, Nope. Printer wizard, well we will install and send test print jobs aparrently into the ether but not to the printer, Nope. 1hr. later I come accross this crazy post I almost ignored until the last few post were all Thank you IT WORKED. Well it worked on Server 2008 R2 with XPP client, I almost still don't believe it but thank you again.
Scott, IS Techs llc.

ladyluck411

Honorable
May 22, 2012

I have to add 1 thing for the poor smucks that don't know that Windows 7 can have 2 names for the same printer. I was dismayed that this solution was working for everyone but ME! And I have seen other forums out there with basically the same solution and poor idiots beating their heads on their desk because they have done all the steps only to get an error "The network path was not found" I check my spelling over and over again. It showed up on my Win xp network with the name that I gave it. But every time I typed in the file path it was rejected.

Windows 7 has a printer name (shows this in "devices and printers") If you click on "Printer Properties" and click on the "General" tab it shows your printer name. If you click on the "Sharing" tab it shows the "share name"

Thank you all for your help! I'm glad I was able to figure out the missing link. Not everyone knows that Windows printers have 2 names :) Thank you Windows!

dbrohm

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

WOW, GREAT TIP, DID AS SUGGESTED AND SOLVED MY PROBLEM. THANKS KEVIN

-bharris

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

You rule! I tried everything else I could think of and nothing worked until I tried this. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS