Printer Sharing Windows 7 64 and XP 32 Bit

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've read a ton of articles on this but I still can't seem to get it going.

I just installed Windows 7 64 bit in the new desktop where the printer is hooked up. Prints fine using the desktop.

Wife has a laptop with XP 32-bit. Printer won't print when sending anything from the laptop.

Hooked printer up to the laptop and it prints.

How do I go about leaving the printer hooked up to the desktop and being able to print from the laptop?

All the suggestions I have read seem not to work. When I try to add printer from xp it tells me server does not have the right drivers. When I try to install the x86 drivers with windows 7 it asks me where to get them from and I have no idea.

Help me please.

On the computer on which you intend to share the printer, find the printer under "Printers and Faxes", right click to Properties, select the Sharing tab, and there you should see an option for Additional Drivers. You can use that to add the drivers for various other OSes. It just requires having those drivers available from the printer's install CD, or maybe the manufacturer's website. Then when you install the printer remotely it will download and install them automatically.

Frankly, it shouldn't be necessary. You should be able to install them on the laptop directly, but for some odd reason this doesn’t always work. So at least try adding them to the printer side and see if it helps. It can be convenient anyway if you need to install the printer on other PCs/laptops in the future.

Holy cow, Canon sure doesn't make this easy. They insist on wrapping their drivers into an .exe and auto-run installer, which makes it a PITA to simply get at the drivers. The process I had to go though to get those drivers was a bit arcane, so I just decided to do it myself. You should be able to add the drivers now on the Windows 7 machine.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2646037/ip5000xp180usZ.zip

If you feel more comfortable doing it yourself…

Download the drivers (ip5000xp180usZ.exe) and rename the file to ZIP. Now open it and extract/copy the .inf file somewhere. Rename the file back to .exe, run it, and it will extract the drivers and start the installer. Once the installer starts up, go to a folder called:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

In there you’ll now find the expanded versions of the extracted files. Add the .inf we extracted previously into this folder, and zip the entire folder back in another ZIP. Now cancel the installer (we only needed it to extract and expand the drivers).

You now have a complete set of drivers w/ INF.

As I said, an arcane process.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Alright now I'm totally confused and I couldn't get anything to extract a .inf file.

I downloaded your zip file from the link provided. I extracted all to desktop which goes in a folder called ip5000xp180usZ. I see no .inf file in there and any setup I try to run just keeps telling me it can't because it is 32 bit and not compatible.

Could you walk me through what exactly I need to do?

I'm looking right at it, it contains ip5000.inf

And you don't run it as setup, you go to the Windows 7 machine, find the printer, click right properties, and under the sharing tab, add additional drivers. It will ask you to specify the OS (windows xp) and prompt for the folder containing the drivers and INF file I gave you (unzip them somewhere and point to that location). It will STORE them there. Now the next time you attempt to install from an XP machine from across the network, it will already have the drivers and send them to that machine, automatically!

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Ok let me see if we are on the same page. Windows 7 64 bit is the PC with printer. I want the laptop downstairs to print over the network and it has xp 32 bit.

I DL your zip folder. Extract to desktop and it makes another folder with the same name with all the files in it. I look in the folder and see now the ip5000.inf

So I go into the printer properties and click additional drivers. I choose x86 and hit ok. It then ask which folder. I browse and choose desktop and the folder with the .inf , which is the extracted folder ip5000xp180usZ.

It then goes back and says copy files from C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\ip5000xp180usZ I hit OK and get this message:

"The specified location does not contain the driver Canon Inkjet Pixma iP5000 for the requested processor architecture."

Well it usually says something like "Intel Windows XP" not just x86 (that's too ambiguous). Unfortunately I can't see what you're looking at, but for comparison, here something similar for my Canon S820:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2646037/additional_drivers.jpg

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
have none of those. I just have the x64 that says installed and x86 not installed, and one other itanium or something like that that says no for not installed.

I'm lost.

If I'm installing these on the Windows 7 desktop for the laptop to download when they connect why won't it just work if the drivers for the 32 bit xp are on the laptop already?

Neither machine will let me put the other machines drivers on it using that x86 and I have no other options in the list.

Ok. I don't use Windows 7, but it seems they changed things a bit. You used to supply the drivers on a per driver basis, not it seems to be on an architecture basis (all x86, all 64 bit, etc.).

Let's try this. Download the ZIP file again since I made some changes. Unzip the files on to the XP machine (NOT the Windows 7 machine w/ the installed printer) to some temporary folder. Go through your normal network printer install on that XP machine and when it asks for drivers, point to that temporary folder.

Remember, download the ZIP file AGAIN because I updated it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2646037/ip5000xp180usZ.zip

If that doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas.

I completely agree. You would think the fact the printer had been previously installed on the XP laptop and working, that moving the printer over to the Windows 7 machine it would already have the drivers and be good to go. But if I understood your problem, that wasn't working. Which is why we’re here today! LOL

Actually these kinds of problems are nothing new. Installing local vs. network printers across varying Windows platforms (and 32 vs. 64 bit only adds to the mess) has always been problematic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. After 20 years of working w/ Windows (since 3.0), I still haven’t figured out why MS can’t get this working smoothly.

bmlocal175

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002

A typo? Good grief, who would ever suspect that was the problem. Well at least it's working.

seigneurdc

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hello , i'm for france ! so you choose local port , you give the righ name like \\nameofpconnetwork\nameofprinteronnetwork

for me it's w7 64bit with tower an wifi whitout printer and winxp32bit with ip5000 and wifi (livebox) when windows update (on desktop w7) look for a driver cause ip5000 is not in the list and don't find this fu.... INF , you only dont use windows update , you choose in the list of drivers canon : IP5300 driver and it's OKKKKKK

well , yes you can !

stephane

steelkane

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
the ip5000 was connected to a windows 7 32 bit pc and over the wireless i was trying to share the printer with a windows 7 64 bit pc but could not find a driver to work,,, so i connected the ip5000 to the 64 bit pc and used windows update to find and install the printer and then connected it back to the 32 bit pc and the 64 bit pc installed it and i was able to use the ip5000 over the network wireless

girbabe

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Hoping it's not too late here since this thread is over a year old but I'm having the exact same problem except my printer is the Canon MX882. Could you provide me with the Zip file that includes the inf? I tried renaming the exe to zip as you suggested but it didin't work. I can edit and rename the driver myself once it's extracted. THANK YOU

msp_cbe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

:D Wonderful! It worked for me! I was struggling with this problem for more than a month. Thank you very much.

jeffroy88

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Hello. I have the opposite situation where I have a shared HP printer attached to an XP machine and I have a new Win 7 laptop that I am trying to connect to the shared printer.

I can't use the 'additional drivers' solution as the XP machine does not list Win 7 as an OS.

Thoughts?

Many Thanks

ajoyborneo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
thanks for the thread.
I have the same problem this morning.
My Laptop is running win xp, and my boss just reinstalled his with win 7 64 bit.
usually i just do the "add new printer, then select network printer", but this thing seems didnt work.
so i read the thread, try to download Canon MP145 driver for win 7 64 bit, rename the "exe" to "ZIP", unzip it to a directory in my boss hdd.
then i use the add printer command,
add network printer
select the input address, then type\\pcname\printer shred name
then provide the driver from the previous directory ive prepared.
voila, its working fine.
Thanks guys for your kind help, and tutorial.