Jun 11, 2020
Hey, sorry this is probably the wrong section to post this but I wasn't sure where.

My printer is a brother MFC 9840 CDW, with a direct USB connection. Brother has been less than helpful in helping me resolve this issue.

So, my printer won't print from my PC. The scanner works into my pc, the copier works. I have plugged the printer into another PC, and it will print from there, but not from my printer.

I have reinstalled the drivers, both manually and from brothers software, multiple times.

I am at my wits end and am completely out of ideas.

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

laptop-Tech

Prominent
Jan 27, 2020
Are the drivers configured in settings correctly? try going to settings and click on devices then printers and scanners and it should get you here here and try reconnecting the cable, and I'm at my end of knowledge
Hope this helps

Ralston18

Titan
Is this a new printer or a printer that was working before and then suddenly stopped printing?

No error messages, no pop-up windows?

Direct USB connection: When you successfully printed via another computer did you use the same USB cable?

On your computer how many USB devices are plugged in?

Have you tried connecting the printer to the computer via an independently powered USB hub?

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the print failures.

Reactions: Matt V123
Jun 11, 2020
Is this a new printer or a printer that was working before and then suddenly stopped printing?

No error messages, no pop-up windows?

Direct USB connection: When you successfully printed via another computer did you use the same USB cable?

On your computer how many USB devices are plugged in?

Have you tried connecting the printer to the computer via an independently powered USB hub?

Windows 10? Look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events related to the print failures.

Old printer that suddenly stopped working.

No error message or popup. When I go into Brother Utilities, it will print from there. However, that's mostly useless.

Same USB cable.

7 including the printer. I've tried multiple USB ports and it doesn't change anything.

I don't think I have a USB hub anymore, so I haven't tried using one.

Here's the error message:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\PrintIsolationHost.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PrintIsolationHost.exe
Application Version: 10.0.18362.1
Application Timestamp: 8a048925
Fault Module Name: gdi32full.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.18362.900
Fault Module Timestamp: ed06892c
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 00000000000d11b0
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b842
Additional Information 2: b8421ee2a342b470c474768c2e7e2f57
Additional Information 3: 4479
Additional Information 4: 44795986a26378b20213b747c319a40c

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 3ea5eae0220323b523b81f257a30866b (1420919928259642987)

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Old printer that suddenly stopped working."

Consider that the printer has simply reached, to some degree, designed EOL (End of Life).

I am nudging along a Canon MX 870 that has decided that the ink absorbers are full and is threatening to come to some end as a result.

Anyway, with 7 attached USB devices I am wondering about the host's continuing ability to support all 7 USB devices with enough power available to do so.

However, if other all-in-one functions/features are working then I must question USB power as an issue.

Windows 10? Try running the built-in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next option is "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

After that, "dism".

Jun 11, 2020
Thanks, that seemed to mostly work. Print is acting funky (takes a long time to stop printing, and is taking a break between each page, which never happened before) but it works and I'm grateful. Thank you.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Bizarre - my Brother DCP-J315W printer also stopped printing around a week ago. The scan feature works perfectly, as does the stand-alone copier.

I've reinstalled the full driver package from Brother (ControlCentre3) but that didn't fix it. It's showing as being the default printer and 'online' - all that seems fine.

If I, for example, choose 'print' by right-clicking on this Tom's Hardware page, it comes up with the print preview window as normal. But on clicking 'print' the print window disappears very quickly. With the printing status window also open, the page I'm trying to print comes up on the 'status' list as 'spooling' for around 5 seconds, and then the status turns to 'deleting' and it clears! If I try printing from a Word doc, the status of the document shows as 'spooling' for barely a second before it disappears from the list!

I'll try the sfc-scannow suggestion above tomorrow when I have a bit of time - fingers crossed :)