[SOLVED] Printer won't connect to Asus RT-AC86U via LASN port - only by USB

stjojeam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
So I bought a new Asus RT-AC86U WiFi router to replace the crappy one provided by my ISP (my older Asus RT-N66U stopped working after falling to the floor...). Setup was typical to other WiFi routers but when I connected my LAN printer (Brother MFC9120CN) it was not recognized by the new router. The only way I can connect the printer to the new RT-AC86U is via the USB port on the router. With my previous routers I have never had an issue connecting to LAN port, and the printer was always accessible over WiFi.

Printer to router over USB connectivity is not a good option for me due to distance between the printer and the router. Also, the new Asus router kicks the printer offline after a single print job. I then have to redo the Asus EZ Printer Sharing connection process, which was a pain in the hole.

My questions are: 1- do all new routers limit printer connectivity to the USB port on the router; 2- is there a workaround to this; and 3- what router(s) still provide LAN port connection for printer?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. I had to re-install my ISP's crappy router for the time being... Sigh...

Solution
Thx for the quick reply kanewolf. I accessed the printer settings and the Network Boot Method was set to "static". I presume I should change this to DHCP?
Static is OK. You just need to be sure the values are in the same subnet as the router DHCP server BUT outside the DHCP range.

For example
The IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, the DHCP server is 2 - 254. You want to limit the DHCP server to something like 2 - 100. Then you can set the static IP address of the printer to 192.168.1.200. That is in the same subnet 192.168.1.x but outside the DHCP server range.

stjojeam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
There should be no limitation on using the printer over LAN. I would recommend printing the status page from the printer. See if the printer is set to a static IP that is incompatible with the DHCP server on the router.
Thx for the quick reply kanewolf. I accessed the printer settings and the Network Boot Method was set to "static". I presume I should change this to DHCP?

kanewolf

Titan
Static is OK. You just need to be sure the values are in the same subnet as the router DHCP server BUT outside the DHCP range.

For example
The IP of the router is 192.168.1.1, the DHCP server is 2 - 254. You want to limit the DHCP server to something like 2 - 100. Then you can set the static IP address of the printer to 192.168.1.200. That is in the same subnet 192.168.1.x but outside the DHCP server range.

Solution

stjojeam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

For example
From my Printer settings the printer IP is set to 192.168.0.108. I just find it strange that on my last three routers I didn't have to change anything, simply plugged it in and worked. I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow and will let you know how it works out. Cheers!

kanewolf

Titan
From my Printer settings the printer IP is set to 192.168.0.108. I just find it strange that on my last three routers I didn't have to change anything, simply plugged it in and worked. I'll give your suggestion a try tomorrow and will let you know how it works out. Cheers!
It just depends on what the defaults are on the new Asus. If the new Asus is 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP range doesn't include 108 then you are OK and it may be some other problem.

stjojeam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
It just depends on what the defaults are on the new Asus. If the new Asus is 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP range doesn't include 108 then you are OK and it may be some other problem.
The Asus RT-AC86U utilizes a 192.168.50 subnet. I set the DHCP server range to 253 and then entered the 192.168.50.254 IP address into the printer settings. Behold, it works! Thank you very much kanewolf for your useful input. Cheers!