[SOLVED] Printer won't connect to computer via my USB to Ethernet adapter in the latest version of Windows 10. Is it because my computer doesn't know how to ha

skyhawk214

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
Trying to connect a new Brother laser printer to my computer via a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter. Typically I would connect the printer to a router and it would work fine, but this is just straight to my laptop via a USB to Ethernet adapter. But is it not working because my computer can't hand out IPs or act as a "print server" of sorts like a router would? The reason I'm doing it this way is because I'd like my printer far away in the center of the house so that it's easily accessible to everyone. I can't use wireless because the way our Wi-Fi is setup, the printer can't be seen on the network and I have no control over the network settings, only my landlord does.

Thanks guys!

Solution
I have a ton of these printers--you need to install the brother driver and will need to have some sort of ip address to print to it. Otherwise, just connect it to your computer via usb and share it.

kanewolf

Titan
Trying to connect a new Brother laser printer to my computer via a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter. Typically I would connect the printer to a router and it would work fine, but this is just straight to my laptop via a USB to Ethernet adapter. But is it not working because my computer can't hand out IPs or act as a "print server" of sorts like a router would? The reason I'm doing it this way is because I'd like my printer far away in the center of the house so that it's easily accessible to everyone. I can't use wireless because the way our Wi-Fi is setup, the printer can't be seen on the network and I have no control over the network settings, only my landlord does.

Thanks guys!
You need to set a static IP address on the PC and the printer. You need to be in a different subnet (third set of digits) than the home router. You will be creating a private point-to-point network.

skyhawk214

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
No, I mean the third set of digits in the IP address. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.10.1 are in two different subnets.
I see. Okay, is it normal that the status of the Ethernet connection says "The network cable is unplugged"?

Also, once I set the IP to a different subnet for the Ethernet connection, I need to put the printer on that same subnet? (For example, if my PC was 192.168.10.1 and the printer needs to be set to 192.168.10.4)

kanewolf

Titan
I see. Okay, is it normal that the status of the Ethernet connection says "The network cable is unplugged"?

Also, once I set the IP to a different subnet for the Ethernet connection, I need to put the printer on that same subnet? (For example, if my PC was 192.168.10.1 and the printer needs to be set to 192.168.10.4)
Are both the printer and USB only 100Mbit? If so you have to have a special wired cable. If either end is gigabit, then it will automatically adjust.
Saying the cable is unplugged is not good. You should get link lights without any thing if either end of the cable is gigabit capable.

skyhawk214

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
Looks like according to This page the printer does not support gigabit ethernet. What kind of cable do I need? Right now I'm using a 25' Cat5e cable.

EDIT: the USB 2 to Ethernet adapter I'm using is also only 10/100.

skyhawk214

Prominent
Sep 6, 2020
I have a ton of these printers--you need to install the brother driver and will need to have some sort of ip address to print to it. Otherwise, just connect it to your computer via usb and share it.
Thank you! I downloaded the driver, installed the printer in Windows, and then in the printer settings I had to enable the wired connection (not sure why it was disabled by default, but okay) and then set it to have its own IP address and that fixed it!