J Cuthbertson

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Last week, Best Buy installed a new hard drive (original was fried) in my two year-old, Dell Inspiron 530 desktop. Dell sent me the Vista system re-installation, drivers and utilities for mouse, monitor and printer.

Computer is up and running however, I can't print from any of my programs since print spoolers are not on.

Upon entering the "Services" window and scrolling down to Print Spoolers, it shows that they are not started. A clickable button in the upper right hand of the Services page read"Start print spoolers".

Upon doing that, I receive the following dialog box containing the following message: Windows could not start Print Spooler service on local computer. error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Any thoughts or ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks, Jim

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Refreshing - a post with information... Nice work Jim!

I copied this from some website. Post back if it works or not.

To resolve the problem, fix the dependency information for the Spooler service.

Click Start, Run and type the following:

CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS
Alternately, to accomplish this using Registry Editor:

Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe

Navigate to the following branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Spooler

In the right-pane, double-click the DependOnService value

Delete the existing data, and then type RPCSS

Close Regedit.exe

J Cuthbertson

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks apprentice. Your solution worked and the print spoolers have now been started. The first of your two options did not work. The regedit.exe did the trick. However now when I try to print, I get the error message "there was an error when printing started. To check printer setup, double click the printer icon in Windows Control Panel. I have no clue as to why it will not now print. I have designated the A940 as the default printer, uninstalled the old driver and installed from a disk the new drivers and utilities sent tyo me by Dell.

I am totally frustrated.

J Cuthbertson

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I cannot print from any program on the computer, even the "Properties" window's Print a test page. Also, the Dell A940 does not appear in the listing of programs on the machine when you click start, then All programs. I suspect that I have installed the drivers, yet there is not application program for the printer. I'll see if I can download an application for this A940.

Thanks

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
You don't need an "application" for your printer. Just the driver.

If you go to the control panel, switch to classic view, and open up Printers, does your A940 show up?

Also, if you go into the device manager do any yellow exclamations (or any other symbols) show up there?

J Cuthbertson

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
A940 appears in printer section of the control pane. There is a yellow exclamation mark next to SM Bus Contoller, under "Other Devices". When I opened that item a dialog box said that drivers were not installed for this item. I clicked on "install drivers". Search of hard drive and the web could not locate drivers for this item