[SOLVED] Printers not recognized by a new Win 10 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
Hello,

I've recently built a new PC and installed Windows 10 Home on it, updated it, got my usual apps working, so far so good.

But I can't get either of my printers to work. I own an HP M15a and a Canon TR4551 printer/scanner, and the same thing happens with both:

When I plug a printer via USB and turn it on, I hear the ping from Windows indicating that something has been recognized. On the Printers & scanners screen it is found but put at the bottom, stating that "Driver not available" or something similar.

So then I try to install the adequate software for them. HP leads me to the HP Smart app, which I install, but then it can't see the printer. On the Device manager screen something is listed as HP (with a warning sign), even if I uninstall it, reboot and start over, nothing changes.

As for Canon, it leads me to their own software, the installation of which reaches the phase when drivers start to be installed, but then the installation abruptly stops and I am told that it failed, no explanation whatsoever. This time I see nothing on the Device manager screen, and the printer is not shown on the Printers & scanners screen either.

So what gives here? Is there something I'm missing, that I should have configured after having installed the OS? Or something else? I'm puzzled and a bit frustrated by this... :cautious:

Solution
HP, however, is still<Mod Edit> with me. HP's Easy Start app recognized that there is an M15a connected and prompted me to install its software. But having done that, it asks me to connect the printer via USB, even though it's already connected and powered on. But it can't see it...
So if it's not a driver issue this time, what else could it be?
That's because you connected the printer BEFORE the installer asked you to. Do NOT connect anything until the installer prompts you to do so.
You certainly missed proper device driver installation in Windows. And HP Smart App is legit malware, main function of it is checking toner cartridge authenticity and popping occasional ads. Remove it for God sake.

Official HP M15a Windows 10 drivers are here. Download and install either "HP LaserJet Pro M15/M16/M17a Printer Full Software Solution" or for printer driver only - "HP LaserJet M15/M16/M17a Printer Basic Software Solution".

Official Canon TR4551 Windows 10 drivers are here. For both printer and scanner support download and install "TR4500 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)".

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
Official HP M15a Windows 10 drivers are here. Download and install either "HP LaserJet Pro M15/M16/M17a Printer Full Software Solution" or for printer driver only - "HP LaserJet M15/M16/M17a Printer Basic Software Solution".

Did so. Failed.

Official Canon TR4551 Windows 10 drivers are here. For both printer and scanner support download and install "TR4500 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)".

Did that too. Also failed.

What now? :unsure:

Error -536870329 indicate expired root certificate of driver signing certificate as they said. I believe that root certificate expiring caused Canon driver installation to fail as well. Do not hope that manufacturers will fix that - they won't.

What you must do now? Install both HP and Canon drivers with disabled driver certificate check in Windows. See details in same thread. Particularly in your case
  1. In Windows go to PC settings (you can search for it in Start).
  2. Click on “Update & recovery” on the left side.
  3. Click on “Recovery” on the left side.
  4. Click “Restart Now” button under Advanced startup.
  5. Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced setup -> Startup Settings and press Restart
  6. Press 7 number key corresponding to “Disable driver signature enforcement” entry.
  7. Install both HP and Canon drivers.
  8. When done, restart your system.
Now both printers should become functional.

Reactions: dwd999 and thomasst

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
What you must do now? Install both HP and Canon drivers with disabled driver certificate check in Windows. See details in same thread.

Thanks, Krotow!
Indeed, once I did what you suggested, Windows prompted me during installations whether I wanted to proceed with "questionable" drivers, I did and so installations were successful.

Canon is now working as it should. (y)

HP, however, is still<Mod Edit> with me. HP's Easy Start app recognized that there is an M15a connected and prompted me to install its software. But having done that, it asks me to connect the printer via USB, even though it's already connected and powered on. But it can't see it...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because you connected the printer BEFORE the installer asked you to. Do NOT connect anything until the installer prompts you to do so.

Reactions: Blackink and Krotow
Solution

thomasst

Honorable
Mar 18, 2017
I agree - some printer installers indeed want to replug USB connected printer during installation. You must obey here ;)

OK, I did everything as I should have... Bypassed the driver certificate check, installed the software, plugged the printer in when prompted and finally I got the message that the installation was successful. In addition, I got a notification from Windows that the device was set up and ready to use.

However, when I went to Printers & scanners screen after that, the HP was nowhere to be found. Also, when I open a document to print, I can't find it on the list of printers either, as if it was never installed...

So what now, this is getting really strange... :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.