printing from an xp pc to a win nt server

I upgraded a PC on a network to Win XP Pro from Win 95. The server is running
Win NT Server.

There is a printer connected to the server through the LPT port that I need
to print to. The printer is shared, but, other than that, I don't know how to
install the printer on my XP machine. When I browse for printers, it does not
show up.
I can see the server (I installed NetBeui), but not the printer.

Any suggestions?

What you might try is share the printer without the additional drivers, then
install the Windows XP printer driver locally, then
Setting|Printers|"printer"|Properties|Ports|Add Port|Local Port|New Port,
then in the port name specify the complete printer's share name (as shared
on Windows NT machine) something like \\WinNT\HP Where \\WinNT\HP is the
full UNC path to the shared printer.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"cbolton" wrote:
|I upgraded a PC on a network to Win XP Pro from Win 95. The server is
running
| Win NT Server.
|
| There is a printer connected to the server through the LPT port that I
need
| to print to. The printer is shared, but, other than that, I don't know how
| install the printer on my XP machine. When I browse for printers, it does
not
| show up.
| I can see the server (I installed NetBeui), but not the printer.
|
| Any suggestions?

Thank you. That took care of it!

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What you might try is share the printer without the additional drivers, then
> install the Windows XP printer driver locally, then
> Setting|Printers|"printer"|Properties|Ports|Add Port|Local Port|New Port,
> then in the port name specify the complete printer's share name (as shared
> on Windows NT machine) something like \\WinNT\HP Where \\WinNT\HP is the
> full UNC path to the shared printer.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "cbolton" wrote:
> |I upgraded a PC on a network to Win XP Pro from Win 95. The server is
> running
> | Win NT Server.
> |
> | There is a printer connected to the server through the LPT port that I
> need
> | to print to. The printer is shared, but, other than that, I don't know how
> | install the printer on my XP machine. When I browse for printers, it does
> not
> | show up.
> | I can see the server (I installed NetBeui), but not the printer.
> |
> | Any suggestions?

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.