Printing from RS232 to Legacy Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXSmiggy

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm having some issues getting a printer to actually print anything under NT.

Its an Intermec 3100 Barcode printer and needs to be used by a legacy system so has to be ran under NT.

Its connected from a 9pin to 25pin RS232 cable and installed on COM1.

When a print job is issued from DOS, the print job enters the spool and print queue, but nothing prints. Also it seems to do this with the printer switched off or disconnected so I'm thinking something is wrong somewhere.

Running MODE from DOS reveals that COM1 is unacessible, and the same on COM2 when I switch it over. I've set the Baud , Parity etc as specified in some snippets I've found on-line but still got nothing.

I have the correct drivers installed , and have tried almost everything to get the damned thing to print so turning to the experts!

Anyone got any ideas of things I can try next to revive this leviathan?

NXSmiggy

Reputable
Jul 21, 2014

Thankyou, Ive lookied into that and its seems as its an End-of-Service printer they wont help with tech support, however i did email them just to see what they say :)

The document you provided was useful, however did not provide anything i did not already know :/

Thankyou for your help :)

aoresteen

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2016
Old but a good COM question:

Make sure COM1 is enabled in the BIOS. Then run MSDIAG from DOS to verify the port is working. If you can, use a loop back DB-9 plug and use a test like Norton Utilities 4.5 from DOS to confirm the COM1 port is working. Then try again from the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.