Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app will print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

by default the LPD service on XP is set to manual. Make sure you change
this in the Services Control Manager to Automatic. Also if the a firewall
is enabled on XP you have to open port 515 on the XP system.

Is the UNIX machine connecting over lp or samba?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Chemist" <Chemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a
printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP
computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app will
print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

Chemist

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> by default the LPD service on XP is set to manual. Make sure you change
> this in the Services Control Manager to Automatic.
I found the TCP/IP PrintServer in the Services Control Manager set to Manual. Is this the LPD service that you have mentioned?

Also if the a firewall is enabled on XP you have to open port 515 on the XP system.

That has been done already.

> Is the UNIX machine connecting over lp or samba?
Not sure-- I'll try to find out tomorrow! I think it connects via lp but will check.

Thanks!

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> "Chemist" <Chemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a
> printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP
> computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app will
> print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

Chemist

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

I changed "TCP/IP Printserver" to automatic from Manual, and made sure that the firewall was not activated. Unfortunatley, that did not solve our problem. I am fairly certain, but not positive, that our Solaris 9 UNIX system is connecting over "lp" for printing.

"Chemist" wrote:

> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > by default the LPD service on XP is set to manual. Make sure you change
> > this in the Services Control Manager to Automatic.
> I found the TCP/IP PrintServer in the Services Control Manager set to Manual. Is this the LPD service that you have mentioned?
>
> Also if the a firewall is enabled on XP you have to open port 515 on the XP system.
>
> That has been done already.
>
> > Is the UNIX machine connecting over lp or samba?
> Not sure-- I'll try to find out tomorrow! I think it connects via lp but will check.
>
> Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> > "Chemist" <Chemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a
> > printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP
> > computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app will
> > print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

Chemist

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

I changed the setting for "TCP/IP PrintServer" to Automatic from Manual, and made certain that the firewall was inactive. However, this did not solve the problem for us. I believe, but I am not certain, that our Solaris 9 UNIX box is sending the print jobs via LP, not samba. I did not find an LPD Service on our XP Pro boxes. Can this be added?

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> by default the LPD service on XP is set to manual. Make sure you change
> this in the Services Control Manager to Automatic. Also if the a firewall
> is enabled on XP you have to open port 515 on the XP system.
>
> Is the UNIX machine connecting over lp or samba?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> "Chemist" <Chemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a
> printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP
> computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app will
> print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

LPD service is "TCP/IP Print Server" service

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324078
HOW TO: Install and Configure Print Services for UNIX

The LPD service is Berkley BSD compatible. I do not think Solaris UNIX lp
follows the RFC 1179 spec.

If this works to a Win98 system you may need to find a Windows XP version of
the software that you installed on Win98 to accept the Unix printjobs.

--

> I changed the setting for "TCP/IP PrintServer" to Automatic from Manual,
and made certain that the firewall was inactive. However, this did not solve
the problem for us. I believe, but I am not certain, that our Solaris 9 UNIX
box is sending the print jobs via LP, not samba. I did not find an LPD
Service on our XP Pro boxes. Can this be added?

> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > by default the LPD service on XP is set to manual. Make sure you change
> > this in the Services Control Manager to Automatic. Also if the a
firewall
> > is enabled on XP you have to open port 515 on the XP system.
> >
> > Is the UNIX machine connecting over lp or samba?
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > "Chemist" <Chemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We have a Unix app which will print to HP LJ IF the printer is a
> > printserver, but will NOT print to a Ljet physically attached to an XP
> > computer. (Unix print services has been installed.) The same Unix app
will
> > print to LJ's attached to Win98 computers.

D Windows XP 1