Printing through print server

kaushik

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hi,
im having one HP-840C printer which is connected to netgear PS121 print server. the print server is connected to switch and switch is connected to the lan port of wireless router and the wan port of wireless router is connected to the DSL modem.
i get internet access to all laptops through wireless router, but cannot take any printout from any laptop.
How to take printout from laptop by the printer?

Thanks

Make sure the printer is configured w/ a unique static IP in the same network as your router, but not allocated to the router’s DHCP pool. For example, if your router is using the 192.168.1.x network, then your router is probably 192.168.1.1. And it may be using a DHCP pool between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.150 (just an example). So maybe give the printer 192.168.1.200. You should then able to ping that IP address from any other PC if the printer is accessible. Of course, you need to install the printer as a network printer on your PCs before you can use it.

kaushik

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hi Eibgrad,
i have already configured the print server in one wired pc and in one laptop through combination of hub and router. the netgear software can detect the printer and assign its unique ip (192.168.0.102). if i ping that ip then got reply. but in the time of taking printout that's failed to print. if i press the diag button at the back of netgear print server PS121v2 for 2 seconds, then im able to receive a printout mentioning its ip address, name etc. in case of print command from any computer (wired pc or wireless laptop) nothing printing. is it my fault or, probs in print server? pl need your valuable suggestion.

roy124

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I am not clear what you saay about configured the print server. Have you installed the 840c software on each computer? You should then connect each computer to the printer (USB connection) and ensureyou get a printout.

Once you are sure that each computer is set up properly you can try a wireless connection. At the computer you must then add the wireless printer. You will then have two printers on each computer - one 840C for USB and one for network. When you get a printout from the network printer you set that as the default printer.

Try this. Uninstall the network printer at the PC. Attach the printer to the PC directly and install it as a local USB/parallel printer. Verify it prints properly. Now return the printer to the print server. Finally, install the printer as a network printer on the PC again.

kaushik

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hello roy124 & eibgrad,

I have tried the whole process repeatedly, but the same problem comes. Windows XP automatically install the driver of HP-840C. So, i got two printers in each computer : one is usb printer and other is network printer. But unfortunately, both of them fails to print. I checked the printer compatibility of netgear PS121v2 at their site and found that HP 840C printer does not supported by PS121v2. I have checked with HP PSC-1210 (MFP) and that works fine. Now i have brother MFC-7420 multifunction laser printer and that is also not supported by netgear PS121v2 print server (according to their site). Can you please tell me which driver of other printer(s) will support Brother MFC-7420 printer - compatible with netgear PS121v2 print server?

Frankly, I had assumed you already checked for compatibility since that's an all too common problem w/ print servers. Even when you do find compatibility w/ an AIO (All In One) machine, 99% of the time the print server will only support basic printing functions. Everything else remains inaccessible (scanning, faxing, etc.).

This is why I never use print servers. USB and parallel printers remain connected to a computer. If I need a network printer, I buy one w/ an Ethernet port. Print servers are the quintessential “square peg in a round hole” solution.

kaushik

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hello eibgrad,

Another office in our building, they are using the same print server with brother MFC-7420 printer. But their system admin never discloses the name of the printer driver they are using instead of Brother MFC7420 printer driver. Do you have any idea apart from brother printer driver, which printer driver (in Cannon, HP & Lexmark printer) supports brother MFC 7420 printer ?

kaushik

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hello eibgrad,

Atlast i have done. Now im able to take printout from wired pc and wireless laptop using brother MFC-7420 USB printer through netgear PS121v2 print server via both switch & wireless router.
Thanks for your valuable contribution.

ubaid_33

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

TRENDING THREADS