Prioritize Game Traffic

Solution
It likely will not do what you think it does.

Lets say I am your ISP and you have a 10m connection. You have a game running that is trying to use 1m and someone running torrent wanting to use at least 10m if not more. Since 11m will not fit into your bandwidth plan I will discard 1m of extra traffic randomly. So you now will lose aprox 10% on average of your game traffic.

Lets pretend you are this software what are you going to do to fix this. You received .9m of game traffic and 9.1m of torrent traffic. How are you ever going to get that .1m of game traffic back.

The ISP could care less what you think is important traffic and what is not.

There is no reason to even run that. You can use a software firewall like pfsense...
It likely will not do what you think it does.

Lets say I am your ISP and you have a 10m connection. You have a game running that is trying to use 1m and someone running torrent wanting to use at least 10m if not more. Since 11m will not fit into your bandwidth plan I will discard 1m of extra traffic randomly. So you now will lose aprox 10% on average of your game traffic.

Lets pretend you are this software what are you going to do to fix this. You received .9m of game traffic and 9.1m of torrent traffic. How are you ever going to get that .1m of game traffic back.

The ISP could care less what you think is important traffic and what is not.

There is no reason to even run that. You can use a software firewall like pfsense and accomplish the same thing and much more. It still takes a dedicated machine in the path....I hope you did not think you could just run that software on a machine and it would magically control other machines.

The only other way to do this is with third party firmware for some routers. But the solution still is messy because you can not actually control what the ISP is discarding but you can sometime trick the end machine into requesting less...like how youtube or netflix will drop the quality if they detect to much data loss.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS