[SOLVED] Priority Upgrade?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
My current setup

I'm looking to migrate to a AMD build pretty soon specifically a Ryzen 9 5x one. I've been told by more than one person I should aim to have RAM that's at least 3000 mhz rather than the 32 GB of 2666 CL 13 RAM I currently have. While I do intend to get it at some point would this be something I should do right away (as I plan on dropping a lot for the board and the cpu) or will the performance increase be minimal? If that's the case I'll do it sometime later.

I had thought about putting off getting a new board and cpu as to my knowledge nothing currently out there is compatible with the new DDR5 RAM which I've read is coming out at some time this year. No idea if waiting for a compatible board is worth it though.

Any suggestions?

Solution
You are looking at two years out before availability of DDR5.
And that will likely coincide with yet another generation of processors and motherboards. If you have a need now, buy now.

Today, ryzen 5000 series is tops. largely because of the higher IPC.
Yes, ryzen performance is closely tied to ram speeds for performance.
But if your new build will work with your 266 speed ram, I would give it a try. Since you also have a mismatched ran set, they may not work at all.
Ryzen is more sensitive to ran specs.

If you are inclined to wait, intel 11th gen is supposed to launch this month. Leaked benchmarks show single thread performance to top 5850X.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i7-11700K-geekbench-5-leak

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
It's not worth waiting to get a board that's compatible with DDR 5?

Originally I was going after the Crossfire Hero VIII x570 or the Crossfire Impact and/or Formula. It needs a bios upgrade for 5x chips I believe though.

You are looking at two years out before availability of DDR5.
And that will likely coincide with yet another generation of processors and motherboards. If you have a need now, buy now.

Today, ryzen 5000 series is tops. largely because of the higher IPC.
Yes, ryzen performance is closely tied to ram speeds for performance.
But if your new build will work with your 266 speed ram, I would give it a try. Since you also have a mismatched ran set, they may not work at all.
Ryzen is more sensitive to ran specs.

If you are inclined to wait, intel 11th gen is supposed to launch this month. Leaked benchmarks show single thread performance to top 5850X.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i7-11700K-geekbench-5-leak

Solution

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I saw Rocket Lake was doing well with single thread. Unless Alder Lake does better (and that's not coming out for some time I believe) I'm likely going AMD and never looking back.

I will be somewhat sad that I have a EVGA 3800 XC3 Ultra Gaming rather than a Sapphire RX 6800 XT but with how the launch for both went when one went up for grabs I took what I could get rather than pass on one and wait. My sadness is that the 3800 won't be able to take advantage of AMD's smart features like the 6800 could. Not sure if it will be a minimal loss or not. Still a boost from my old 1070 though.