Prism implementations

vilanye

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I am looking for a Wireless USB device that is can run natively in XP, Vista, OSX. and Linux. I would like for it to be based on the prism chipset which seems to have drivers for all of these platforms. These are for a CS department who will be using them for security research, which means monitor mode is a must.

I am having a heck of a time finding out what chipsets are used for specific devices. Apparantly this is top secret information.

Does anyone know of a specific item that uses this chipset or another widely supported device?

G

It's not top secret, I've found this info when necessary by Googling model name and the word chipset.

As driver problems are such an issue for Linux users, you may find that Linux user forums are you next stop for such info.

vilanye

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I have yet to find a manufacturer that lists exactly what chipset, and searching other website is nearly useless because the chipset often changes from revision to revision. If brand x adapter y had a prism chipset 6 months ago, there is no guarantee that it does today.

Prism chipsets have few Linux driver issues and most of those problems I have found to be PEBCAK. They are also the most cracker friendly, which obviously important.

G

You are quite right -- Netgear and Belkin, to name two, have different chipsets in (for example) Mk 1 and Mk4 models. But they wouldn't change chipsets on a Mk1 without relaunching it as Mk2, obviously due to driver issues.

I had little trouble identifying a Belkin PCMCIA card as Broadcom chipset just last week. It's a matter of digging. I think eventually I confirmed it via the downloads listed on driverguide.com so that may be a place to look.