Private user directories on server

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

I have been working on this for 3 days trying to figure it out and can't find
documentation anywhere.
I worked with Novell file Servers since 1990 and user directories being
restricted to just the one login account has always been an easy thing.
With windows 2003 it seems almost impossible without creating a separate
share for each user account.

What I am asking for is not out of line it should be simple enough.

I want a users home directory, with each user mapped to his home directory
(looking like a root of a drive). It would look like this :

directory on server
\\server\share\user\joe

from workstation
h:\

User Joe. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
directory.

For whatever reason I can't force this on a 2003 server. If I share above
the user directory then each user seems to get read to all directories.

Any ideas ?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

with ntfs file permissions I set that a user has no access to a given dir on
the server. when I login with an xp pro ws and check ntfs permissions I have
full access. am i getting administrator ntfs access because i am using brett
account that on the xp pro ws has administrator rights to the local machine?

this is nuts.

"Brett" wrote:

> I have been working on this for 3 days trying to figure it out and can't find
> documentation anywhere.
> I worked with Novell file Servers since 1990 and user directories being
> restricted to just the one login account has always been an easy thing.
> With windows 2003 it seems almost impossible without creating a separate
> share for each user account.
>
> What I am asking for is not out of line it should be simple enough.
>
> I want a users home directory, with each user mapped to his home directory
> (looking like a root of a drive). It would look like this :
>
> directory on server
> \\server\share\user\joe
>
> from workstation
> h:\
>
> User Joe. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
> browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
> directory.
>
> For whatever reason I can't force this on a 2003 server. If I share above
> the user directory then each user seems to get read to all directories.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
 

Barry

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
346
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Brett wrote:
> I have been working on this for 3 days trying to figure it out and can't find
> documentation anywhere.
> I worked with Novell file Servers since 1990 and user directories being
> restricted to just the one login account has always been an easy thing.
> With windows 2003 it seems almost impossible without creating a separate
> share for each user account.
>
> What I am asking for is not out of line it should be simple enough.
>
> I want a users home directory, with each user mapped to his home directory
> (looking like a root of a drive). It would look like this :
>
> directory on server
> \\server\share\user\joe
>
> from workstation
> h:\
>
> User Joe. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
> browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
> directory.
>
> For whatever reason I can't force this on a 2003 server. If I share above
> the user directory then each user seems to get read to all directories.
>
> Any ideas ?
>

set a home directory in active directory for that user. Point it to a
server share. this will create the dir and set the permissions
correctly. map a drive to that.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Windows server 2003 is a very crude network os. It leaves folders hanging out
there that you cant see the contents of (assuming no rights to the contents).
batch files for scripts (you cant even edit them from within the ad). where
are the container scripts ? why do i have to assign a login batch file to
each user why not the whole container. why share permissions and ntfs
permissions. I thought I was going to see something good if not great by
moving to what some say is the best os out there. I t is obvious to me that
they haven't seen a real network os that has been thought out.

Bill Gates ... Server 2003 STINKS





"barry" wrote:

> Brett wrote:
> > I have been working on this for 3 days trying to figure it out and can't find
> > documentation anywhere.
> > I worked with Novell file Servers since 1990 and user directories being
> > restricted to just the one login account has always been an easy thing.
> > With windows 2003 it seems almost impossible without creating a separate
> > share for each user account.
> >
> > What I am asking for is not out of line it should be simple enough.
> >
> > I want a users home directory, with each user mapped to his home directory
> > (looking like a root of a drive). It would look like this :
> >
> > directory on server
> > \\server\share\user\joe
> >
> > from workstation
> > h:\
> >
> > User Joe. would only be mapped to his home directory, only be able to
> > browse to his own directory, and would not have rights to any other home
> > directory.
> >
> > For whatever reason I can't force this on a 2003 server. If I share above
> > the user directory then each user seems to get read to all directories.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
> >
>
> set a home directory in active directory for that user. Point it to a
> server share. this will create the dir and set the permissions
> correctly. map a drive to that.
>
 

Barry

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
346
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system (More info?)

Brett wrote:
> Windows server 2003 is a very crude network os. It leaves folders hanging out
> there that you cant see the contents of (assuming no rights to the contents).

well if you have no rights why should you be able to see it? Or do you
mean you can see the folder even though you don't have rights? If so,
try this:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04a563d9-78d9-4342-a485-b030ac442084&displaylang=en>
http://tinyurl.com/d7mht

> batch files for scripts (you cant even edit them from within the ad). where
> are the container scripts ?

use a GPO

> why do i have to assign a login batch file to
> each user why not the whole container.

You don't

> why share permissions and ntfs permissions.

Yeah that I don't get

> I thought I was going to see something good if not great by
> moving to what some say is the best os out there. I t is obvious to me that
> they haven't seen a real network os that has been thought out.
>
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Windows 2000/NT 8
T Windows 2000/NT 4

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY