Prob. 9600XT and A7V600-X

chubben

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002

Hi all.

I´m in a nightmare...=(
My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new mobo,
Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb ATA-100,
Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.

When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system frezzes.
Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win

Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.

I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.

When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people with
the same problem.
Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??

Brgds
C.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:43:48 GMT, "Chubben" <chubben@msn.com> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I´m in a nightmare...=(
>My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new mobo,
>Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb ATA-100,
>Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.
>
>When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system frezzes.
>Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win
>
>Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.
>
>I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
>I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
>I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
>Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
>Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.
>
>When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people with
>the same problem.
>Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??
>
>Brgds
>C.

You could try turning fastwrites _on_, Chubben. Unlike other Ati
cards, some 9600s run better with it on.

patrickp

chubben

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002

Hmm..

Thanx for all the advice. I feel like I did back in -99 using a Geforce 2GTS
with a Via Apollo Pro 133A board.... Used many test hours on that
computer.. =(

Have tested various setups with AGP4X/ 8X/ FW, both in BIOS and in
Smartgart. Still not better.
Tested Omegas last driver based on Cat4.4. Didn´t work either.
I regret that I didn´t help my buddy out before he bought the damn board.
Would have recommended him a nForce2 instead. Or are there same issues with
them?

Brgds
C.

"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:43:48 GMT, "Chubben" <chubben@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all.
> >
> >I´m in a nightmare...=(
> >My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new
mobo,
> >Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb
ATA-100,
> >Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.
> >
> >When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system
frezzes.
> >Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win
> >
> >Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.
> >
> >I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
> >I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
> >I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
> >Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
> >Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.
> >
> >When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people with
> >the same problem.
> >Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??
> >
> >Brgds
> >C.
> >

> You could try turning fastwrites _on_, Chubben. Unlike other Ati
> cards, some 9600s run better with it on.
>

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

If you have the option try turning off "Shadows"..

"Chubben" <chubben@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I´m in a nightmare...=(
> My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new
mobo,
> Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb
ATA-100,
> Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.
>
> When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system
frezzes.
> Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win
>
> Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.
>
> I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
> I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
> I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
> Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
> Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.
>
> When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people with
> the same problem.
> Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??
>
> Brgds
> C.

chubben

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002

In BIOS you mean?
Haven´t got it....

"loco" <not@home.com.au> skrev i meddelandet
> If you have the option try turning off "Shadows"..
>
> "Chubben" <chubben@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I´m in a nightmare...=(
> > My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new
> mobo,
> > Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb
> ATA-100,
> > Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.
> >
> > When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system
> frezzes.
> > Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win
> >
> > Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.
> >
> > I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
> > I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
> > I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
> > Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
> > Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.
> >
> > When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people
with
> > the same problem.
> > Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??
> >
> > Brgds
> > C.

Try setting AGP to 4x in Bios as well as in Advanced properties of Display.
I had the same problem with an A7V600. If you can return the board and buy
an A7N8X. The 9600XT and Via chipsets don't like each other too much.
"loco" <not@home.com.au> wrote in message
> If you have the option try turning off "Shadows"..
>
> "Chubben" <chubben@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I´m in a nightmare...=(
> > My buddy upgraded his system with a Powercolor 9600XT 128Mb and a new
> mobo,
> > Asus A7V600-X. Also got 1 stick of 512Mb Samsung PC2100. 1 HDD 60Gb
> ATA-100,
> > Win XP Pro, everything upgraded. 4-in-1 4.51.
> >
> > When starting a game like Far Cry, Max Payne 2 or UT2003 the system
> frezzes.
> > Have to make a hard reset. Just using Win
> >
> > Using AGP8x, VPU off, Overdrive off, FW off.
> >
> > I have tried to use AGP4x, same problem.
> > I have changed to a another ram stick, same problem.
> > I have tried different cat´s, 3.10, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4. Same problem.
> > Installed a new 450Watts powersupply, same problem.
> > Installed my own Hercules 9800 Pro, and then everything ran perfect.
> >
> > When looking around on the net, I see that there are a lot of people
with
> > the same problem.
> > Please, please, please.... Anybody got a solution??
> >
> > Brgds
> > C.

chubben

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002

He used a Sis board before with a MX400.
Xp was installed from scratch with all updates applied from win update.
The new 9600XT works perfect in my rig, and the A7V600-X works perfect if i
attach my 9800Pro to it.

The thing is I managed to get Far Cry to work finally. At least no hangup
for 1 hour of gaming.. but still problems with UT2003 and Max payne 2.
Haven´t had time to test with more games.

Brgds
C.