Prob. upgrading eMachine

G

Dear Sir,
I have a COMO MICRO ATX motherboard in a SOTEC machine. It is a 366Mhz Celeron running in a Socket 1; 440EX 66Mhz FSB.

To upgrade, I just bought a 'SLOCKET' (Slot 1 to 370FC-PGA) converter card and a new Celeron 700 Mhz CPU, but my new CPU will only run at 50Mhz!!

The multiplier jumpers on the motherboard don't do anything!
Also, if I change the voltage settings on the converter card, again there is again no change from the 50Mhz speed.

Please help me!

Do I need to upgrade the BIOS?

If you have a solution for me, please tell me!

Waiting for your good reply...

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Sean.

G

Hey. Listen, I wish I had more of an answer for you. No experience with slockets, unfortunately. Did you mean to say that the 366 was a slot processor and the 700 a socket?

Couldn't help but notice that your post was the only recent post that had never been replied to. Therefore, a bit of advice. Before that, let me say that alot of very real and normal people pick up emachines, and usually on the cheap. Hopefully it gave you some reasonable performance satisfaction, and I hope that it doesn't die an early death the way that they seem sadly prone to. That said, here is my advice: Don't tell people you have an eMachine. At least not right in the subject. The T.H.G. community has probably far fewer of them than the general population. Those that have them may feel some reluctance to come forward. Those who struggled to upgrade theirs may still be trying to forget the pain :) Mention all the parts you can identify, and only use the "e" word if you absolutely have to. People here are generally very helpful, and not normally snobbish but...

Sorry I don't have any specific advice for you. I thought the best that I could do for you would be to reply, so your post would float back to the top and be read by more people. The one awkward thing about this board is the speed with which older posts get buried.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

Hi Tom,
thanks for the mail.

AOK with the eMachines advice..

To answer your question: computer was originally 366 Socket 1. It takes the SLOCKET to adapt to 370. However, it won't recognise the new CPU; but it boots at 50Mhz with the SLOCKET and new Celeron attatched.

I've a feeling the M/board is 'locked' in some way.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Happy New Year!

Sean.

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got an "E" 366 for $200. I sent e-machines an e-mail to find out the max CPU was 533 but mine was a socket 370 motherboard. Send them a e-mail they respond quickly. I have sold the 366 for $300. Only had it 1 week and made $100.

mpjesse

Splendid
OK, here's some advise: First off, does the computer seem to be running any faster? It should be- otherwise the thing probably wouldn't boot. Also, the reason it's probably picking it up as a 50mhz cpu is the BIOS can't figure out what the hell it is. Usually, those slocket upgrades come with a BIOS upgrade so the BIOS knows what it is. Go to the manufacturer's website of the slocket and look for a BIOS upgrade- that'll fix all your woes.

-MP Jesse

G

Jesse,
it's not running any faster, just @ 50Mhz.

As for BIOS upgrade for the SLOCKET. are you sure such a thing exists? My SLOCKET is a SOLTEK SL-02 ++ and it came with nothing other than the adapter. Their website says nothing about BIOS upgrades for SLOCKETS.

I may need a BIOS upgrade for my TRIGEM M/board but there is little or no info. available for them on the entire web!

I can't work it out: 10.5 multiplier is locked by the chip, my M/board only runs at 66MHz so everything should be fine. SLOCKET even has a COPPERMINE jumper and more than 30 voltage variations...

It's a pain.

Thnaks for the help anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't even bother with the stock motherboard. Emachines used rare, cheap motherboards from various manufacturers who won't usually admit that it's there proble-uh-product. Look around on Pricewatch for a CUSL2-M, the Micro ATX version of the big boy's ASUS CUSL-2 motherboard. Then you can clock it WAY up-should be able to get at leat 850MHZ out of it! Probably the cheapest way out for you, unless you can sell the thing with the stock processor and put something else together!

G

The bios doesn't recognize the Cumine core. But if it's booting into the OS, then it's probably running at 700Mhz. Doesn't mean it's running right. See if it recognizes the L2 cache properly in the post. It's not a bios upgrade for the slocket you need. It's one for the Cumine core.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

I bought an "E" about a year ago when I was low on cash and in need of a machine for school. The motherboards in them are crap and the BIOS is next to useless usually. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some sort of conflict due to the mainboard only supporting 8.0 X mutliplier on top of being a piece of crap.
Also, if you are going to avoid the whole problem altogether by getting a new mainboard, the hole patterns may not be standard. Meaning once you get a new mainboard, you may realize it ain't fittin in, and have to go get a new case. So you may want to avoid future problems by getting and Asus CUSL2 and a good standard ATX case.