prob with win xp (I think)

My sister in law is having several problems with their computer which is
running winxp. She has e mailed the probs they encounter and I am forwarding
them to this group in the hope that someone can perhaps suggest a remedy

All pre-installed games gone.
Cannot get a list of users - there should be me and ray but box is empty.
Can get onto some websites but when try to log in, won't let me.
Won't print forms needed from some sites.
Can't get dates up for restore so we can go back.

We have used restore once and it took us back.We then tried to come forward
a bit and now won't do anything. i think that is it but it's so hard wen
not doing anything to know if i have told you all. hope it helps
If anyone can help sort this out.....they are a genious

Thanks in advance

Have you run a virus scan? Have you run a spyware\adware\malware scan? Have
you run any HDD diagonstics? What about RAM diagnostics? What, if anything
shows in your event viewer? Have you run Chkdsk, disk cleanup and defragged?
Are you running SP2? A lot more information is needed before your problem can
be diagnosed.

Hi

How far back did you have to go with System Restore to get the system
running again? Which version of XP is being used - you may have to look at
a 'Repair' install if SR isn't working?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Eric Hall" <sdfsadfasdf@dfdf.hj,.g> wrote in message
> My sister in law is having several problems with their computer which is
> running winxp. She has e mailed the probs they encounter and I am
> forwarding
> them to this group in the hope that someone can perhaps suggest a remedy
>
> All pre-installed games gone.
> Cannot get a list of users - there should be me and ray but box is empty.
> Can get onto some websites but when try to log in, won't let me.
> Won't print forms needed from some sites.
> Can't get dates up for restore so we can go back.
>
> We have used restore once and it took us back.We then tried to come
> forward
> a bit and now won't do anything. i think that is it but it's so hard wen
> not doing anything to know if i have told you all. hope it helps
> If anyone can help sort this out.....they are a genious
>
> Thanks in advance

Your computer is probably so screwed up it nees to be completely reinstalled
with the Recovery CD's. That would be the best way to get it back to usable.
The many problems you are describing with your Um.."Friends" computer
probably couldn't be easily repaired by a "newbie" .
Now , really, don't you all agree?