probably a dumb question :)

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive been reading about overclocking, although ive never really done it... well a lil but not pushing anything that much, but when toms did the 5ghz project i was reading forums about it here and people said the mobo was limiting the overclocking, not the cpu... does this mean that if the mobo could clock higher that the cpu could handle going to say 6 or 7ghz? and if so why doesnt anyone, like gigabyte since there pretty much the best for devoloping new techs in mobos, design mobo's that can handle the higher clocks? is this physically impossible at the moment or are they just limiting it for stablility/cheaper production?

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
The motherboard needs to be able to supply that kind of power and is not very economical to make that kind of motherboard standard since most people will never overclock to those speeds. Since those speeds require very exotic cooling solutions it wouldnt be feezble.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
but it is actually possible to make motherboards that supply enough power to reach much higher clock speeds? id like to see a company produce one (if they havnt :p) and see how high they can clock a cpu before it dies... be kinda a cool experiment..

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
yeah, I'd pay good money for a "super motherboard" one that could handle a lot of voltage. Why don't they make them? Where could I get one? I want one that will take me to 5Ghz watercooled at least. :)

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
lol im sure a bunch of people would pay for a crazy powerful mobo, but i doubt watercooling would be cold enough, somthing like those vaporchill cases would be perfect for a super mobo :p

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
1.7v is the most a cpu can handle? i bet a prescott could handle a ton of voltage? close to 2.5... this is just a guess but they seem to have a higher tolenance for stuff like that

prescotts would use way less and tollerate way less. every time they scale down cpu dies (northwood 130nm vs prescott 90nm) they can lower the vcore (doesnt require as much v's), the prescott's limit vcore would be below the northwood, same as the previous wilamettes (180nm) - there stock vcore was 1.75v concidered a dangerous northwood vcore.

As for the mobo they used if you read the review, it was a custom made ASUS board if i remember correctly - the video clip even shows the vcore regulator cooling.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
oh so i guess they do make modified board for stuff like that... so its more of a processor thing than a mobo? considering they do make modified mobos that can handle the power?...

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
if Tom's couldn't go over 5Ghz cuz they already had the voltage up too high, then how the heck did somebody do a 7.12Ghz overclock without frying the processor thru excessive voltage???? the way you guys are putting it, it sounds like even if you had liquid nitro the excessive voltage running thru the processor would fry it? :cry:

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well it does make some sense because having too much power through a cpu no matter what temp will kill it, its like overloading a transformer (i think) as in if it gets too much power it will just explode (in the cpu's case die) 7.12 is crazy high but i believe its possible... usually adding more voltage just means the life of the cpu is a lot shorter, but i bet u could run 2v through a prescott for at the minimum a few minutes... it wouldnt just die right awya, or at least i dont think?

no doubt about that.. but how did that guy get 7.12Ghz when THG could only get 5? Why can't THG make a 7Ghz overclock... :?

Easy - THG was usin a northwood/130nm P4, 7.12ghz was with the prescotts - 90nm's and altho there tough to overclock on air cause of excessive, with LN they go really far cause it takes care of all the excessive heat.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Just make the CPUs out of something else that can withstand 10 GHz or more.

Intel are already researching TeraHertz components. (If you don't seek, yé shall not find ;) ), no doubt others like AMD, Sun, etc are aswell.

The die would be larger (no more than +50%), but the clock speed would be over twice as high.... and power consumption.

Silicon isn't the only option.

I'd gladly pay a premium for more processing performance and power (when I got my sig system the CPUs where around AU$3200 of total cost, the video card was AU$450 :p ), they just don't mass manufacture or offer such things.

Toms should do an article on TeraHertz, or high GigaHertz processors, they are on a roll with the Centrino news (by the looks of it), how can they top it ?