[SOLVED] probably a stupid question but...

riiptide

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
so right now the i5 11400 is cheaper than the i5 11400F (189 vs 279 respectively) which I am planning to build a new pc with. If i have a graphics card, do I need to disable the integrated graphics on the 11400? Like the computer will know to use my graphics card right? i know its a dumb question, but better safe than sorry!

Solution
so right now the i5 11400 is cheaper than the i5 11400F (189 vs 279 respectively) which I am planning to build a new pc with. If i have a graphics card, do I need to disable the integrated graphics on the 11400? Like the computer will know to use my graphics card right? i know its a dumb question, but better safe than sorry!

In the vast majority of cases, you can just install the GPU and boot with display connected to that. The BIOS will know what to do automatically. If for some reason it refuses to do just that, you can always use the integrated graphics to access BIOS and set it that way.

I think the problem where iGPU/dGPU clashes is much more common on laptops. Can't think of the last time I had to disable iGPU on...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

In the vast majority of cases, you can just install the GPU and boot with display connected to that. The BIOS will know what to do automatically. If for some reason it refuses to do just that, you can always use the integrated graphics to access BIOS and set it that way.

I think the problem where iGPU/dGPU clashes is much more common on laptops. Can't think of the last time I had to disable iGPU on desktops. Even on my home server rig sometimes I just uninstall then install different GPUs willy-nilly, most I have to do is DDU in desktop.

Reactions: riiptide
Solution