Probably an idiot question....(about PSU)

G

I have a 20+4 pin connector and it won't fit both connectors at the same time in fig B(the keys don't match). I can connect the 20 pin part to fig. B and the +4 pin to fig A. Is that what fig. A is for? In other words will the computer run if I have a 4 pin in fig A and 20 pin in the 24 pin unit?

Figure "a" is a separate 12v 4 pin connector, which all newer power supplies have. You should not use the extra 4 pin connector frequently on the end of the 24 pin atx connector for "a". On my power supply, I have to use a 24 to 20 pin adapter. The extra 4 pins on the end don't come apart.

G

Ok i'll get a 20 to 24 pin adapter. Thank you very much.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, the 20-24 adapter might be risky (pulling more amps off the 12V rail - extra four pins is 2x12v and 2x0V - on cheap PSU's with single rail this might be risky)?

Also, I beliebe the extra 4 pins is for powering PCIx that is running without addon power - and if the card uses external power the 4pin may be omitted?

Can someone maybe confirm / smite this?

G

Well my PC is now running and the 20 to 24 pin adaapter is working. I may be lucky though.

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
In answer to your question, yes.

The 20 pin connector should be connected to the 24 pin plug, the extra 4 pins are for the later generation PSU's. You shouldn't need to get an adaptor.
The 4 pin connector needs to be connected to the 4 pin plug near the CPU, that is what powers the CPU.

This should have been covered in the manual, I have Gigabyte boards and it is explained fairly well in thier manuals.