[SOLVED] Probably spent too much...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Ok, so idk if this is a common thing but im pretty sure i spent way to much on not only the components but asthetics as well. For the price i dont think the preformance. Specs are as follow with everything i spent like monitor wifi etc.

Case: Thermaltake versa h18 tg
Mb: asrock ab350m pro 4 matx
Procesor: ryzen 5 2400g stock speeds
Ram: corsair vengence ddr4 3200 running at 2666
Psu: evga 600b
Gpu: gtx 1060 6 gb asus
Storage: pny 120 gb ssd wd blue 1 tb
4 thermaltake riing 12 white led
Rgb led strip from bitfenix
Acer xf251q monitor
Tp link starter poe
Corsair hs60
Logitech g610 and g403

Total spent was about 1137 back in may of 2018, is this too much spent for what i got? Price to preformance i think is not good,

Solution
You can save a lot by signing up for your favorite website email sale fliers. Newegg sends them out daily and I look at them every day so I can help with builds. Microcenter in the US is another good one.

PcPartpicker is nice for the "lazy" builder (I still use it simply because it covers more websites, just in case) but that doesn't include newegg promo codes (which can knock off up to $30 on a component sometimes) and it's just a snapshot of current prices. It's helpful to know what a "good sale price is".

Then you've got hardware things, such as RX580 8GB $170 performs the same as a $200 GTX1060. DDR4-3000 doesn't cost much more than DDR4-2400, but DDR4-3200 can be $30+ more expensive for not much perf improvement. AMD...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Ok, thank you, thats what i was kinda worried about. I dont really make a whole lot on income, back when i first built it i decided, hey, why not get cool stuff along with the parts, not realising almost a year down the line that i could have used that money in extras towards either a better processor, gpu, or both. the ryzen 2 series and b450 only came out about 2 months after i got the 2400g i believe. Thanks for your help. Hopefully i can figure out a way to regain some money to preformance ratio.

I spitballed around $1000-$1050 [not including windows license] so not bad.

Have you turned on FreeSync yet?

Looks like you haven't gotten your (16GB?) RAM up off the default speed. You should be able to at least get 3000MHz.

Depending, Ryzen 3xxx CPUs are due out around July. Maybe consider a drop-in CPU upgrade...

The crucial MX500 500GB SSD typically hovers around $50-$60.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Sadly due to me having nvidia and the monitor I have I can’t do freesync. Ram I can’t get to run at it’s rated 3200. 2666 is the highest I can run before I crash the system. I’d love to get another 8 gigs in but my kit is 200 and not guaranteed to work. If I do a 3 rd gen I’d want to upgrade the mb as well. At least b450. I know it’s backwards compatible but still. And I’m thinking about getting a 3 tb hdd for extra storage.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

My monitor doesn’t have display port input and only a 75 hz refresh rate. I’ve tried to use the driver, can’t get it to work.

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Ah it’s ok, I figured it wouldn’t. It’s sad is when I got this monitor, a week later they released the driver, I was mad and by the time I figured out what I needed, I was past the return window. Oh well, thanks for your help. As for my pc specs, if I don’t count the premiums that drops the price down to about 670 which for what I got I think is a good price. Mistakes were made, but next time I build a gaming pc I’ll have more knowledge.

You can save a lot by signing up for your favorite website email sale fliers. Newegg sends them out daily and I look at them every day so I can help with builds. Microcenter in the US is another good one.

PcPartpicker is nice for the "lazy" builder (I still use it simply because it covers more websites, just in case) but that doesn't include newegg promo codes (which can knock off up to $30 on a component sometimes) and it's just a snapshot of current prices. It's helpful to know what a "good sale price is".

Then you've got hardware things, such as RX580 8GB $170 performs the same as a $200 GTX1060. DDR4-3000 doesn't cost much more than DDR4-2400, but DDR4-3200 can be $30+ more expensive for not much perf improvement. AMD CPUs are a bit better perf/ $ especially if you OC them a bit. Etc etc.

Solution

gogi

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
No worries mate. I bout a 1070ti 1 month before the release for 2070 cuz 280x died. And the bought a predator with gsync 1 month before nvidia decided to release drivers for freesync monitors.......

Jun 28, 2018

Well, if you bought everything together, taking into consideration the prices at that point, it would be better to go for an Intel i5 8400, b360 motherboard and gtx 1060 6gb.

Don't ask your self if you spent way too much. Prices are going down, these days so, for the same money, you'd get better hardware today. But don't blame yourself. You can't predict marketing behavior. In the near future I'd suggest you to get better RAM and more SSD storage. Prices are going down, so it will be affordable.

If you should have taken RGB Fans and Led strips? No, you should prefer a better CPU instead.

Kind regards

Your system will get the job done either way!

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018

Yeah, when i built this almost a year ago, i decided, hey its my pc, why not make it look good. I actually bought parts over the year. Got the mb, processor, ram , case psu and storage at one time, waited a few months, got the fans, few more got the light strip, and got the graphics card on black friday. Monitor i just picked up about a month ago. Not realising that i could have gotten my graphics card a few months earlier, probably got another 8 gigs of ram, and probably a 1600x or even 1700. Im going to see if i can overclock some things to make up for a little bit of lost money. Thanks for your help though. Next time i do a build, ill be a lot more reasonable with what i need to get. This was a fun thing to do as it was my first pc, and has sparked my love for technology. Guess i spent the money as a learning tool, oh well, at least it wasnt for college on books ill never use :)