Problem activating Windows vista

Spinal_94

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hi,I am having a problem with re installing windows vista home premium.A friend of mine gave me his laptop to fix it because he had a lot of ads
and pop-ups and his computer was running incredibly slow,So instead of going through and uninstalling these unwanted programs and a lot of fake software I told him that I will just format the hard drive and re install windows. He did not have a recovery disk or anything so I told him I need one and he gave me a recovery disk that he got from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/261147470453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
I had no problem formatting the hard drive and re installing windows but I cannot seem to change the product key that is on the computer because every time I try to change the key it gives me an error saying that is is not a valid product key and it is the key located on that bottom of the laptop.I cannot activate by phone because it thinks the product key is the one that was on the recovery disk and I spent several hours with Microsoft trying to get help without success.I have no idea want to do,I installed win vista and he has 30 days till he has to activate his product.The problem is I cannot activate windows and I don't know why. The product key is genuine Microsoft told me that much but I just cannot change the key to be activated and when I try it gives me an error saying it isn't valid. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5852. Any one have any advice or suggestions that may help?

The key must match the version. (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.).

OEM keys cannot be used with retail media and vice-versa.

Looks like those guys on E-Bay are making their own discs. God only knows what they are, and if they're even legal. Always obtain recovery media from the PC/laptop manufacturer.

Spinal_94

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
On that link you posted it gave examples on how to put the files on a flash drive,do you think you can burn the iso to a dvd instead?
thanks for the reply

Yes -- If you continue on with the examples after it finishes the portion on creating a USB flash drive version it details how to go about creating an iso image using imgburn so just go further down the screen and you should find it !