Question Problem after updating BIOS, boot either failing or taking too long. GA-AX370-Gaming K3 (1.0)

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello friends

I had F40 bios for GA-AX370-Gaming K3 (1.0). After I updated the BIOS to F41, using the Gigabyte AppCentre, the PC now takes too long to boot. I had to use the OS installation media to repair the MBR and boot record to make the PC bootable.

The issues were/are as follows:

1. After the update, the PC refused to boot and the BIOS setting screen was displayed every time.

2. The OS drive, a Kingston SSD 120GB could not be selected, even boot override or F8 did not work. Though in the BIOS, all the drives were duly listed as connected.

3. After repairing the MBR and Boot record, now I can boot the PC, but it is taking more than 2 minutes to display the boot loader screen. I have a Win7 partition on a separate HDD, so I get an option to choose between the two. (I do not use Win7 anymore, but I am not sure how to delete that from MBR).

4. Fast Boot did not improve the situation.

5. If I try to disable all the other boot options but my OS drive, I either receive an error that the boot drive was not found or I get the BIOS screen back.

6. If external USB HDDs are attached then the BIOS takes much longer time to display the bootloader and in most cases just fails to show the boot loader. Instead, the same BIOS settings screen is displayed.

I have 4 internal drives including 120GB SATA SSD and another 500GB M.2 SSD.

What is the solution to this? Should I downgrade to F40 (There was no problem with F40)? If yes, then what is the method of doing that? Or should I update to a higher version of BIOS instead?

Please help me out,

The details of my system are as follows:

Product Name: GA-AX370-Gaming K3 (1.0)
BIOS Ver: F41
Brand: Nvidia
Model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Operating System: Win 10 64-bit
Brand: Corsair
Size: 64GB
Memory Part No.: CMK16GX4M1E3200C16

... Or should I update to a higher version of BIOS instead?

It sounds like memory is failing to train. Have you reset CMOS? Do it by removing the battery for a few minutes while also shorting the pins.

If it still refuses to train, manually setting the correct DIMM voltage in BIOS can sometimes help. The voltage is typically on a label on the DIMM or you can search online for the spec's. If all fails, try 1.35V. DDR4 is safe up to 1.5V but around 1.4V is the max suggested for 24/7 if you don't know the RAM chips used in it.

It may seem illogical but I'd update to latest, T51d, even if it does work on the current version.

Last edited:

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Thank you for replying.

I would be happy to remove the Win7 from my HDD, though I am not sure what is the safest way. Disconnecting the HDD while booting is a little cumbersome in my workspace. @rocktalkrock

@drea.drechsler I shall surely try it out. I have left everything to the default in BIOS except using the XIMP profile 1 so that I get the full advantage of the memory bus.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
It sounds like memory is failing to train. Have you reset CMOS? Do it by removing the battery for a few minutes while also shorting the pins.

If it still refuses to train, manually setting the correct DIMM voltage in BIOS can sometimes help. The voltage is typically on a label on the DIMM or you can search online for the spec's. If all fails, try 1.35V. DDR4 is safe up to 1.5V but around 1.4V is the max suggested for 24/7 if you don't know the RAM chips used in it.

It may seem illogical but I'd update to latest, T51d, even if it does work on the current version.

To update: I have updated to the higher versions of the BIOS incrementally and the problem seems to be resolved. In this context, I think the problem occurred because I tried to experiment with the BIOS update utility of Gigabyte in the Windows environment which seems to have caused the problem. Even though there was no error message after the update. For all the later versions I used the QFlash utility and the BIOS update occurred without any hitch.

Thank you for your suggestion to update to the latest version @drea.drechsler