Question Problem between front and rear panel mic and audio jacks

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I have this strange issue with a Dell Optiplex with Windows 7 and its audio/mic jacks. When I insert both of the 3.5mm plugs for my headphones into the mic/headphone ports on the back panel, the audio to the headphones works fine and the mic is detected, but doesn't work. It picks up no sound on the sound level thing and I tried it with Steam as well, same problem. Whats weird is that if i use the front panel connectors instead, the mic now works but now the headphones don't work! It's the same issue where the headphones are detected, but no sound actually goes through (I checked the mute switch on the headphones, it's unmuted). What is happening? By the way I've tested these headphones (Logitech G230) on another computer and they work fine.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Which OptiPlex do you have? You might want to see if there are any BIOS updates pending. Later, try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers found off of Dell's support site for your Dell prebuilt using the service tag on the system.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Which OptiPlex do you have? You might want to see if there are any BIOS updates pending. Later, try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers found off of Dell's support site for your Dell prebuilt using the service tag on the system.
I have an Optiplex 330 that I upgraded to a Core 2 Duo E8500 and a GTX 750. Thanks for the tips, I will try them out.

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Ok I kind of had a disaster happen. I installed Windows 7 SP1 and that went fine. I then installed the bios file from Dell's website, I think it was revision A11 or A9, but got an error message about it. I then restarted the PC and it says Windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. It recommends using the Windows installation disc, which I don't have. How can I fix this? I also got another error message about the boot device or disc being corrupted.