Question Problem booting from SSD on Dell Inspiron 15 5567 ?

Jun 22, 2022
Hello ! Been trying to look for solutions on this issue in the threads here but have tried already different methods (cmd bcdedit, BIOS configurations, multiple reformat) but to no avail. :(

ISSUE: I have an old Dell Inspiron 15 5567 from 2018 which I revived last April by adding more RAM and replacing the original 5400rpm hdd with a new 250GB SSD. From the start, the primary issue of the laptop is not booting from SSD immediately. On first boot, the laptop will either get stuck at the logo screen without rotating dots or it will go into bios check and return "Hard drive not installed." Then I will shut it down by long pressing power button, sometimes it resets on its own. After, I will press the power button again, and it will boot normally. It's a sequence that goes 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1, where 0 is where it does not boot normally and 1 is when it successfully boots.

I tried to reformat it multiple times but to no avail, the issues persists. One day, I thought of reinstalling the previous hard drive just to check. Surprisingly, it doesn't get any issues even after multiple shut down and power on. No problem whatsoever. Only when I install back the SSD again, the issue returns and persists. What could be the issue? And possible fix? I tried turning Boot Security on and off again multiple times but no changes. If you're familiar with the Dell Inspiron BIOS UI, it's quite old-looking, so I'm not sure much if there's anything to configure more there. The OS is not cloned, it's a fresh installation. Should I try cloning it instead?

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 15 5567
Intel i5-7200U
16GB RAM (2 slots)
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for all your help.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hello ! Been trying to look for solutions on this issue in the threads here but have tried already different methods (cmd bcdedit, BIOS configurations, multiple reformat) but to no avail. :(

ISSUE: I have an old Dell Inspiron 15 5567 from 2018 which I revived last April by adding more RAM and replacing the original 5400rpm hdd with a new 250GB SSD. From the start, the primary issue of the laptop is not booting from SSD immediately. On first boot, the laptop will either get stuck at the logo screen without rotating dots or it will go into bios check and return "Hard drive not installed." Then I will shut it down by long pressing power button, sometimes it resets on its own. After, I will press the power button again, and it will boot normally. It's a sequence that goes 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1, where 0 is where it does not boot normally and 1 is when it successfully boots.

I tried to reformat it multiple times but to no avail, the issues persists. One day, I thought of reinstalling the previous hard drive just to check. Surprisingly, it doesn't get any issues even after multiple shut down and power on. No problem whatsoever. Only when I install back the SSD again, the issue returns and persists. What could be the issue? And possible fix? I tried turning Boot Security on and off again multiple times but no changes. If you're familiar with the Dell Inspiron BIOS UI, it's quite old-looking, so I'm not sure much if there's anything to configure more there. The OS is not cloned, it's a fresh installation. Should I try cloning it instead?

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 15 5567
Intel i5-7200U
16GB RAM (2 slots)
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for all your help.
What is the model of the SSD? Have you tried updating the BIOS?