Problem building bulldozer system please help

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I recently embarked on building a new computer, everything was going well until i started it up for the first time. the first time i started it up power turned on but it doesn't post, there is no video output and my keyboard and mouse don't get power (usb).

System components:
sabertooth 990fx
amd fx-8120
16gb (4x4gb) patriot memory
2x2gb msi twin frozr II 6950 video cards
2x60gb corsair force3 ssd's
and a 1tb standard hard drive

I have everything i could think of to fix the issue. I tried using the hdmi video output as well as the dvi output, i removed one video card and then the other, trying them in multiple pci slots. I tried reseating the cpu and heat sink. I also tried to boot with just one stick of memory, as well as different dimms. nothing i have done made any difference. The only thing i can think of is maybe i need to update the bios before using the bulldozer cpu which unfortunately means buying a second processor for no other reason then that. if anyone has any other ideas im getting fairly desperate

Use a second system to download the BIOS?

You didn't list a PSU, are you sure it's fine?

Have you tried POSTing with a minimal number of hardware, i.e. one GPU one RAM stick and no SSDs/HDDs?

Cinci555

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Have you attempted to put the RAM in all different slots, sometimes a RAM slot can be bad. If you have a motherboard speaker use it for POST beeps, if not buy one, they're cheap. That is more indicative of problems. And if it doesnt post at all you have either a motherboard or a psu problem.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I looked into using a second system to download the bios but if i did how would i update it on this build? i cant see anything lol

As to trying to post with minimum hardware, i tried it one gpu, the 1tb hard drive and one stick of ram.

Im going to try to get a case speaker in the next day or so (if i had one when i started this build im not sure where it ended up, looking back on it, i should have kept track of it)

I tried one stick in all of the slots, also did it again with another stick to make sure it wasn't bad memory.

All of the case fans as well as the cpu heatsink fans come on as soon as i start the system. I can also hear the hard drives turn on if i get close to them (hard drive activity like also flashes a few times on start up, there isnt anything on them though so it does have much activity)

USB drive

Your PSU could still be faulty. Hard to say when you have no test hardware.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
so just download it to a usb drive and then plug it into the new system? will it automatically update itself?

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

lol already did, the only ways it shows to update the bios are either in the bios or in windows, can't get to either at this point. I think its pretty stupid to sell a motherboard thats compatible with BD but you cant buy it and the chip, you have to already have updated the bios before using the chip. hopefully they start shipping the board with the newest bios soon. I'm starting to think that the whole issue may be with the board not recognizing the cpu due to the bios but idk if there is anyway to fix it short of finding an am3 cpu to use to update it. Then again everything Ive tried so far i expected to fix it.

ishadu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

lol it's all good, a bit annoy that at this point ive just made an extremely expensive fan. I think im going to contact ASUS to see if they have heard of this issue being cause by the bios and if so find a local repair shop if anything that will let me use a am3 chip just to get into the bios and update it real quick. Although im still open to suggestions if anyone has them