[SOLVED] Problem causing huge temperature spikes and fps drops in games

epicdude101

Reputable
Nov 22, 2017
A few weeks ago Ive been noticing a problem that seems to have gotten worse ever since. When playing a game my cpu and gpu seem to shut down, causing huge frame drops making most games completely unplayable as these fps drops happen so frequently. I researched it and concluded it had to be a heating problem. When I checked hwinfo and msi afterburner both programs showed a temperature jump to +200c at the same time as the fps drop in games. After further research it seems as if my motherboard has issues with cooling this cpu even though I checked if the cpu was compatible with the board when I bought it.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641)

if you need any other specs to help you please ask and I will try and provide. Thanks in advance for your help.

4745454b

Titan
I do not understand why AMD allowed the 760 chipset to run the 125W FX CPUs. That was a poor decision.

The VRMs on your board are over heating. They don't even have heatsinks on your board. You need to get them some air. A fan blowing air in the cpu area, or a different heatsink that blows air in the area. (Old style, not a tower cooler) I wouldn't bother getting a new board because fx is dead.

epicdude101

Reputable
Nov 22, 2017
I do not understand why AMD allowed the 760 chipset to run the 125W FX CPUs. That was a poor decision.

The VRMs on your board are over heating. They don't even have heatsinks on your board. You need to get them some air. A fan blowing air in the cpu area, or a different heatsink that blows air in the area. (Old style, not a tower cooler) I wouldn't bother getting a new board because fx is dead.

Thanks for such a quick reply! I dont know much about the motherboard or fans so I dont really know what cooler would be effective. If its not too much hassle do you have a cooler in specific or just something a little more specific than old style so I can get along with buying a new cooler. Thank you once again for your help

4745454b

Titan
I'm not up on HSF. Can you add or flip the fan attached to the case I that area? You just need more flow in that area.

The stile of cooler I'm talking about is the old or stock coolers. Not the tower coolers like the 212. I would honestly try adding a fan before anything else.

epicdude101

Reputable
Nov 22, 2017

Here are 2 photos to help you get an idea of my tower. It doesnt look big enough to be able to fit another fan in it so should i consider just replacing the cpu cooler with one of these "old style" coolers. I think i still have a stock cooler from my old cpu but this cooler came with the fx 8350.