[SOLVED] Problem connecting new PSU to Lenovo CIH81M motherboard

Sep 30, 2020
I just registered this account solely for this question. I hope you guys can help me out on this because I'm so lost.

In short, I had a pre-built Lenovo case that had Lenovo H50-50 LGA1150 CIH81M Motherboard in it. We recently upgraded the GPU and of course the PSU, but the pins on the motherboard are not compatible with the ones that come with the PSU. The PSU has the regular 20+4 pin cable, which doesn't suit my 14+4 motherboard pin slot. I couldn't find a 20 pin to 14 pin converter where I live and the only one I found online was on Amazon - sadly the seller doesn't ship to my country.

And then I bought a 24 pin to 14 pin adapter, thinking that maybe it'll work out or maybe I could find someone to modify it for me. (Saw on YT) It obviously didn't work out because the additional 4 pin slot was empty and the computer didn't boot up- it booted up for a second and then it turned off itself to protect the components inside.

After all of this I tried to find a cable that I could plug it into the 4 pin slot and found out a cable that adapts PCI-E cables into 4 pin CPU cables. The 4 pin slot that I'm trying to fill in isn't the CPU's power slot so I'm guessing that this may not work. I read it on this forum that if I do something wrong about this, I'm most likely going to end up with a fried motherboard so I figured it would be the best to ask you guys about this before buying the cable and ending up with nothing. I would love to update my motherboard but it doesn't seem that it's possible right now.

Not only that, I'm also having an issue with the USB3 and the HD Audio cable but for now on I'm only focused on the power issue. Thoughts on this?

My PC:

-Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
-NVidia GT 720 2GB GDDR3
-SAMSUNG 8GB RAM 2rx8 PC3-12800U-11-13-B1 1600MHz
-Lenovo CIH81M LGA1150 Motherboard

The new components:

-Cougar STX 700W
-Asus STRIX GTX 1650 SUPER
-MSI MAG 100M Case
-G SKILL 8GB RAM F3-1600C11S-8GNT DDR3-1600 CL11-11-11-28 1.5V 1600MHz

Solution
Sell the Lenovo computer and return the new DDR3 RAM you bought. Buy a modern CPU/Motherboard and DDR4 RAM. Price you get for your existing system and the RAM return should pretty much cover things. Waste of money buying a new case, power supply, video card then trying to mess around with an older CPU for it when the cost difference from selling the parts and buying new is very little.

Intel i3-10100 is a good budget CPU with 4 cores and 8 threads with HT.

For a bit more a Ryzen 5 would be even better for modern use, for about $40 more https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3400g/p/N82E16819113570?&quicklink=true

Hey, thank you for your suggestion, we've solved this issue yesterday. We thought we should just return...

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd just return the innards of the Lenovo prebuilt into it's original chassis and then try and source a second hand mobo/CPU/ram combo to avoid having to fry a perfectly functioning piece of hardware. You did right o ask, what you did wrong was start going into the rabbit hole of upgrades when you're not well informed about upgrading.

Yes, the board you have has proprietary connectors

Reactions: redb0x8
Sep 30, 2020
If I were you, I'd just return the innards of the Lenovo prebuilt into it's original chassis and then try and source a second hand mobo/CPU/ram combo to avoid having to fry a perfectly functioning piece of hardware. You did right o ask, what you did wrong was start going into the rabbit hole of upgrades when you're not well informed about upgrading.

Yes, the board you have has proprietary connectors

Thank you for your reply, we've found someone yesterday that can take care of this issue. He's either going to replace the mobo or he's going to do some rewiring. And yes you're absolutely right, I should've guessed that the pins could potentially cause a problem but thought the power pins were pretty standart and didn't really check twice before trying to upgrade it sadly. Will definitely do more research before trying to upgrade! Lesson learned, in a hard way.

Sell the Lenovo computer and return the new DDR3 RAM you bought. Buy a modern CPU/Motherboard and DDR4 RAM. Price you get for your existing system and the RAM return should pretty much cover things. Waste of money buying a new case, power supply, video card then trying to mess around with an older CPU for it when the cost difference from selling the parts and buying new is very little.

For a bit more a Ryzen 5 would be even better for modern use, for about $40 more https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3400g/p/N82E16819113570?&quicklink=true

Last edited:
Reactions: redb0x8
Sep 30, 2020

Hey, thank you for your suggestion, we've solved this issue yesterday. We thought we should just return the RAM we bought etc. and get a brand new DDR4 motherboard instead (like you said) but we were short on budget for the PC. I suggested, like you said, selling the case but the whole system is really outdated and it would take some time to get sold and I was in need of a properly working computer because I'm working from home, so we had to improvise. We bought an MSI LGA1150 H81 motherboard, which works perfectly and does everything I ask for. The graphics card runs every game I wanted to play perfectly, I know my CPU's a bit dusty but it's okay for now.

Solution