Problem connecting to internet with Netis WF2120 USB adapter

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Hello All,

Pulling what little hair I have out of my head on this one.

I keep getting Page Cannot be Displayed, cannot find server or DNS error when trying to browse the internet.95% of connections fail.
I can connect to my router all the time. That works.

The hardware/software is an old IBM desktop running Windows XP Professional. I just installed a Netis WF2120 wireless adapter. I am using the latest Netis drivers.

When I try to ping a site like IBM.com, it time outs. Some sites I can ping.

All other devices (Windows 7, Android, Apple) all connect without any problems. So I don't believe the problem is with the internet or my wifi router.

I also have two copies on XP on this computer and they both fail.

Any ideas?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Networking is not my strong suit, admittedly, but I've never heard of Netis.

From what I can find of that adapter, it's $5 CAD for me (for <$4 USD).... potentially a case of "you get what you pay for".

XP may be the issue, with the drivers not really getting much though (despite it claiming to be for XP too).

If you can determine the actual chip inside (Realtek/Broadcomm etc), you may have more success sourcing a driver direct from them....

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not sure if the datasheet will confirm which chip is being used (it should, realistically) and sourcing a driver direct from the chip vendor may help..... but chances are good it's just a cheap Wifi dongle that you can't realistically expect stability from, unfortunately.

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
There is nothing on the data sheet. But When I look at the adapter under windows xp it is labeled a Realtek RTL8188CU. I pulled this information from the ipconfig /all output.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't see anything when I load the page, but this is where the Realtek driver (from Realtek themselves) should be:http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=274&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

No idea if this is legit, but this would appear to be exactly what you're looking for:
https://www.realtek.cz/realtek-download.php?realtek=RTL8188SU&system=1

tnichols

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I think I know what the problem is. I just don't know how to fix it.

I believe the problem is: The Realtek DHCP Service is failing to start with a code 1067. As hard as I have tried to start it, it keeps shutting down.

If I key in my router address, I go right to it without fail. But trying to go to www.yahoo.com is a different story. When I key in Yahoo, I go to Bing search. When I click on Yahoo from Bing, I get DNS error.