Problem Dual booting Phoenix OS(installed on hard disk) with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2019
Hello there,

First of sorry if the question is not very clear. I will be happy to answer any question you ask to get the clear picture.

So, I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 installed on it. I made a partition of 30 gb in the Disk Management interface. Then I installed Phoenix OS on that partition through a Bootable USB drive.

The OS installed successfully.

Afterwards when I restarted the system, it did not show any option of selecting either Windows or Phoenix, rather just booted with Windows as if there was no Phoenix OS.

I looked through the internet and wasn't quite successful on how to resolve the issue.

Earlier also I tried installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on the same laptop but no success.

I also tried booting in Legacy mode(To be honest Don't know what it is) but it prompted No boot device found. So reverted the settings back to as they were in BIOS Setup menu.

I am not sure what other information you guys might need to help me out here, so please tell me what screenshots or images you need and I will try my best to provide them.

Also I am not very acquainted with the technical terms relating to these Booting issues so Bear with me if I act naively.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I was wrong. The boot loader Grub wasn't working because it wasn't installed. That explains why you have no boot menu.

Make sure Secure Boot is disabled in the BIOS.

Here are your options:

1) You can install the Grub2 boot loader using Grub2Win (https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/files/). Instructions are on that same page.

2) Reinstalling Phoenix OS including the boot loader Grub.

3) Rerun the installer and find an option to install Grub. I don't know if there is one.

4) Some other people used EasyBCD to modify the Windows Boot Manager. That method is more complicated. If you find a good tutorial, you could try that.
I am a little confused from your post so please correct me if I am wrong. You want to install Phoenix OS on the 30 GB partition and not on a USB flash drive. You do not need a flash drive to install the OS on a hard disk. The first step is to run the installer. When the installer asks you to select an install type, select the Install to Hard Disk option. Then you can point to your new partition.

If I understand correctly, you may have installed the OS on the USB flash drive and created a live USB. In other words, you can boot into Phoenix OS from the USB flash drive.

The following link is the guide from their website:

http://www.phoenixos.com/help/installation/help-en

Jan 5, 2019

Hi,
Thanks for responding.
What I did actually is that I created a bootable USB drive of Pheonix OS and then installed through that drive onto the 30gb partition.
Now I have Phoenix OS on that partition but am unable to boot Phoenix OS. So need help with that.

Honestly, I have never done it that way. I used the installer in Windows, where I followed the guide exactly as stated. It worked perfectly. Would you be willing to try that? You will have to uninstall the previous try if necessary.

Jan 5, 2019

No offence, But I would first prefer to wait for others to respond. If no proper response then I would certainly go for your way.

No offense taken. If you are willing to wait, I can try out your method and see if I have the same problem. However, I can tell you what your problem is. The boot loader Grub is not working. My guess is that it is improperly configured or pointing to the wrong configuration files. Phoenix OS does not include a tool to repair this.

The three options is to do a reinstall, repair the boot loader or reinstall the boot loader manually.

One more point to add, make sure Secure Boot is disabled in the BIOS.

Jan 5, 2019

Sorry but I do not know how to reinstall the boot loader manually.
I did see in the BIOS setup that one Windows Boot manager is present but wasn't sure what it is. Now I think it must be the boot loader for Windows and therefore there must be a seperate boot loader for Phoenix.
I would also like to mention one more thing. While installing the Phoenix OS It did ask about installing some Grub boot loader or something like that, do not remember exactly what it was, and I had skipped that part since I wasn't aware of what it was. What do you suggest now should I do?

I was wrong. The boot loader Grub wasn't working because it wasn't installed. That explains why you have no boot menu.

Make sure Secure Boot is disabled in the BIOS.

Here are your options:

1) You can install the Grub2 boot loader using Grub2Win (https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/files/). Instructions are on that same page.

2) Reinstalling Phoenix OS including the boot loader Grub.

3) Rerun the installer and find an option to install Grub. I don't know if there is one.

4) Some other people used EasyBCD to modify the Windows Boot Manager. That method is more complicated. If you find a good tutorial, you could try that.

Solution
Jan 5, 2019

Ok thanks, I will try following the steps now and will let you know about the progress.
Thanks again for helping me out.

Jan 5, 2019

Hi again,
Status update
Tried installing Grub2Win but couldn't since the program kept saying Wget program missing or failed, which I did install explicitly just for Grub2Win.
Next I went on with EasyBCD, But failed here too since at the startup only the program said that IT HAS DETECTED THE SYSTEM IS RUNNING ON EFI BOOT MODE AND HENCE SOME FEATURES WILL BE DISABLED.
So no use of that too again, since it was not letting me add the new entries. I even looked on the internet for a solution through which I could maybe change the Windows installation from EFI to Legacy but no success even there. Lots of solutions given for the reverse process but not the one I was looking for.

Next going to try reinstalling the Phoenix OS. Let's see what happens.

Jan 5, 2019

Installing the Phoenix OS again with the GRUB that was included in the package worked.
Thanks a lot mate for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.