Problem extending guest network

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
I'm trying to extend the range of just my guest network(router is Linksys EA6300).Both the router and extender are close(10 ft) to each other.I have been using the home extensions for a few years with no problem.I know I can only extend one network.ACL is off.

So I use a laptop to log into mywifiext using the 2.4 home ext.The netgear genie finds the home network and the guest network.On the screen where it asks "Select the name of your existing network" I select the guest network.When I click on continue it searches for networks.Eventually it comes back with "The extender was unable to connect to your existing network".If I cancel and instead select the home network it works the way it should.

Also I reset the extender-didn't help.
Lastly-does can anyone list an extender that definitely will extend the guest network?

Solution
I think you have identified why the extender will not connect to your guest network. It has no capacity to open a web page and enter the password there.

You had me going with the NSA van story ... for a second.

How to resolve this ...
Do you trust your RV loving relatives? You can extend your main network and let them on. Yes, they could see your computers, but unless your are sharing with no passwords, they can not access them (depends a bit on what you have on the network).
Are you will spend a bit of money? You can upgrade your router to one that allows for multiple isolated networks. Or add an router/AP and connect all your devices to the new router/AP while they connect to the extended main network (they will not be able to...
So there is no difference between guest WiFi and your main WiFi. If the extender can connect to one, it should be able to connect to the other. (caveats ... this is assuming your guest network and main network are using the same security protocols, same communication protocols, etc ... basically, they are configured the same way. On your router they seem to be.). Is the failure to connect after putting in a password? Is it correct? Are there special characters in the password (I have seen systems that will not accept special characters that other systems will)? I did notice that router has max number of guests allowed ... is it possible you have hit that max?

No offense, but why do you want to extend the guest network and not the main?

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016

As far as security the home network is WPA/WPA2-PSK.The security for the guest network says "none" but it is password protected-much like if you are staying at a hotel.The hotel network says "open"but you have to open a browser and enter a hotel supplied password.
The passwords for the home and guest networks are different but similar-just letters and numbers.
The extender genie never gets as far as asking me for a password-it never finds the guest network when I try to extend it-even though it is listed on the first step.There is no one on the guest network.
As for why-there is this nice guy in a van labelled "NSA" that keeps parking on my street.He asked if he could use my network as he gets lousy cell phone reception.I didn't want him on my main network, :) Actually it's for relatives that visit and stay in their RV from time to time.The router doesn't reach the RV.

I think you have identified why the extender will not connect to your guest network. It has no capacity to open a web page and enter the password there.

You had me going with the NSA van story ... for a second.

How to resolve this ...
Do you trust your RV loving relatives? You can extend your main network and let them on. Yes, they could see your computers, but unless your are sharing with no passwords, they can not access them (depends a bit on what you have on the network).
Are you will spend a bit of money? You can upgrade your router to one that allows for multiple isolated networks. Or add an router/AP and connect all your devices to the new router/AP while they connect to the extended main network (they will not be able to see the new network, but you can see the main network).

Solution

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016

I was trying to avoid putting them on the same network and/or spending much money(trying to save for new cpu/MB/memory and power supply.)I did find a deal on a TP link extender marked down to 25 bucks.I figure I've got 30 days to make it work.The netgear extender is pretty old tech at this point so I guess it's worth a try.

tanman05851

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
A TPlink RE380s did the trick.Thanks anotherdrew for your help.Hopefully this might help someone in the future-there is very little info about extending guest networks on the intraweb.