Problem flashing ECS IC780M-A (V1.0)

anthony_27

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Got the BIOS update file that should allow me to install an AMD X6 1045 processor, but when I open it from my bootable flash drive, it gives me an error:

46 - error: Problem getting flash information

There is only the .ROM file from ECS for my motherboard and the AFUDOS executable in my flash drive.

Anyone know what else I need to do or what I did wrong?

popatim

Titan
Make your flashdrive dos bootable, copy those files back in, and then boot from it and run the executable.
This will only work if your motherbd supports booting from a flash drive, otherwise you will need to boot from something else.

I use a free program called Rufus to make the flashdrives.

anthony_27

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

I used that HP program that makes the flash drive boot to a Win98 distributable. It does boot up and the program works fine, but it doesn't seem to get to the flash data. Any other advice?

anthony_27

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

I used the AMI Flasher Utility from Wimsbios.com, specifically the 5.05.04 version. I did rename the ROM file to flash.rom for ease of typing, so that could also be a source of error, but I can't think of anything else that could be stopping this BIOS update from happening. Unless it was actually AWARD that thinks its AMI.

EDIT

The flash software operates in DOS, so I manually type in the file name. I tried just typing in the EXE but that causes the same error.

anthony_27

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Okay, solved this particular issue. For anyone else encountering Error 46: Problem Getting Flash Information, it's because you aren't using afudos. I was trying to use the AMI Flasher Utility, but it didn't work for me. I found the AFUDOS program from Adventech.com, and it did work as intended. Unfortunately I bricked my motherboard since I didn't put in the modifiers after the .rom file name.

If you are reading this, make sure you use the following modifiers:

/p /b /n /x