Problem getting video output on 2nd monitor.

DPaid

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hey guys! So I recently received 2 free Monoprice 27" 1440p monitors from my job. My boss gave me some advice saying they only work with DVI-D Dual Link (since they only have a DVI port available). Both monitors work well when connecting a DVI cable directly to my 1060 (1x DVI, 2 x HDMI, 1xDP) However, they will not respond when connecting an HDMI to DVI or DP to DVI cable. Am I missing something essential for these monitors to work with those specific kinds of cables? Or are they just both bad cables that don't support 1440p?

If I boot with the HDMI to DVI cable connected, the monitor does show the motherboard boot display (which is zoomed in for some odd reason) for about a second before the monitor goes dark.

Solution

That's what I said :)

Although, the reviews on that one do not seem to be favorable. I recommend this one, which I have tested:
https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Active-Adapter/dp/B00DYRQXMK/

The one that I linked was an inexpensive active DisplayPort to DVI-D dual link adapter (Max Resolution: 2560 x 1440). The more well known brands are more expensive (as usual). Also there are also powered versions that require a USB connection (Supports DVI dual-link video resolutions up to 2560 x 1600).

That's what I said :)

Although, the reviews on that one do not seem to be favorable. I recommend this one, which I have tested:
https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-DisplayPort-DVI-D-Active-Adapter/dp/B00DYRQXMK/

Solution
As far as I can tell the only difference is the length of the cable (same brand). I did look at the reviews. Most were complaining that it didn't work for 2560 x 1600, but that resolution wasn't claimed to be supported. Plus there weren't many reviews to begin with.

DPaid

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks for all your tips guys. Went to Fry's and Microcenter and they didn't seem to have the active adapters in stock. Will order the one Glenwing mentioned. Hopefully it works without any problems.