Problem going from 7800gtx to HD5850 (no display)

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I was running the 7800gtx in sli and I'm trying to put in a ati radeon 5850. I uninstalled the old nvidia drivers. Whenever I try to boot up with the 5850 I get no display, although the fan runs and everything else seems to run. my psu definitely has enough wattage.

I disabled the SLI as well, why am I not getting a display with the new card? I can put the old (1) card back in and it works fine. I did reset the CMOS for something else, could this have changed something? (again the old card still works). I am running an AMD FX-55 with 32bit windows xp, 2g of ram. Did I get a DOA card?

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Pretty unlikely the card is DOA - but I guess its always a possibility

That the 5850 fan spins up is normal for those cards. Why are you certain the psu is ok? The 5850 wants 2 PCI power connectors (not that it uses them)

So you are saying no video or ability to enter bios? What type of monitor? I have seen if you use a 1900x1200 monitor the dvi-single cable will not work off of the 5850 and the result is no video. Are you using (or can you try) VGA?

Procedure to clean install a new driver:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.

1. Are the two PCIe power pins securely connected to the 5850?
2. What is your mobo model?
3. Do you have another PC you can test the card on?

Even if the problem is not with the card, I suggest returning the 5850 for another cheaper/weaker card.

Your FX-55 is a single core I presume? You're going to experience huge CPU bottlenecks. The 5850 is roughly 10 tiers above a single 7800GTX, and probably 8-9 tiers above dual 7800GTXs.

Even a 5770 (or 4870) or 5750 (or 4850) would be bottlenecked by your processor.

If you plan to buy a new system soon, the 5850 is fine until your transfer it to a new PC. If not, I suggest getting a cheaper 4830 or 9800GT for about $80, or a 4770 for about $90.

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

mobo is an abit an8. yes the power pins are secured. psu is like 850W

I will be upgrading the processor and mobo soon, regardless, the card should still work.

Yup, you need to run driver sweeper. Of course, I recommend a clean install just to be sure that it isn't a driver or registry problem. If you're not getting an image on post though make sure the card is properly installed and that you connected both PCI-E power connectors. Also be sure that you put the card in the slot that has 16x lanes not the one that has 0x :D.

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

correct, there is no display at all to get into the bios with the 5850 in. the old card works fine.

edit: I tried it and still no display with vga

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

the 7800 gtx is a pci-e x16 card, correct? that still works and it's being tried in the same slot.

Driver issues would cause buggy/sub-standard performance. The fact that you aren't getting any display at all is not a driver issue IMO.

Do you have another PC you can try the 5850 on? If you bought it from Newegg, you have a 30day window for returns/exchanges.