[SOLVED] Problem gtx 1660 super

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
Hi.

I urgently need help. I've noticed now that my gpu is acting strange, basically my motherboard b450m mortar max shows through its ez debug led that gpu is not working or failing (3rd led) and it was not booting up even though the gpu fans were working. So I restarted a few times and it works (its booting etc) however it does that again when I shut down. Does anyone know what is happening?

Solution
That psu isn't the greatest. Not exactly the worst, at least it's protective circuitry that it does have works, but it's filled with the cheapest Chinese junk components otherwise. Basically on par with Evga white.

500w should be enough for a 2600 and 1660S, even if it's not really a full 500w.

But, being full of the cheapest available caps etc, failure rates are somewhat high. But then you'd get cpu light stuck first if the 12v rail was failing/failed.

Which leaves the bios. And has had issues with some bios and usb/hdmi buss. This is hopefully fixed by the latest bios updates. Hdmi when plugged in requires a handshake, basically it says hi to the monitor and the monitor says hi back. Without that handshake, the hdmi port reads an...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That psu isn't the greatest. Not exactly the worst, at least it's protective circuitry that it does have works, but it's filled with the cheapest Chinese junk components otherwise. Basically on par with Evga white.

500w should be enough for a 2600 and 1660S, even if it's not really a full 500w.

But, being full of the cheapest available caps etc, failure rates are somewhat high. But then you'd get cpu light stuck first if the 12v rail was failing/failed.

Which leaves the bios. And has had issues with some bios and usb/hdmi buss. This is hopefully fixed by the latest bios updates. Hdmi when plugged in requires a handshake, basically it says hi to the monitor and the monitor says hi back. Without that handshake, the hdmi port reads an error, sends it back to the motherboard, which then hits the red light since there's no video output. You'll always get a red light with that cpu if there's no video output.

I'd wait until in windows, dl the latest bios and slap it on a USB stick. Plug that in and reboot to bios, and update bios by ezflash tool, pointing at the usb.

Hopefully that'll fix that bug. I'd also be keeping an eye out for a decent reliable psu, that Aerocool is on a timer....

Reactions: Kubsy
Solution
Apr 6, 2021
Hi Kubsy.

Can you list the entire system specs including the PSU brand and model please?
I had this problem a while ago, I have a 2070super. In the end, the problem was the motherboard. Its pretty drastic but I think it might be the problem, maybe update bios or reseat your graphics card/ DDU And reinstall drivers

Reactions: Kubsy

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020

Which leaves the bios. And has had issues with some bios and usb/hdmi buss. This is hopefully fixed by the latest bios updates. Hdmi when plugged in requires a handshake, basically it says hi to the monitor and the monitor says hi back. Without that handshake, the hdmi port reads an error, sends it back to the motherboard, which then hits the red light since there's no video output. You'll always get a red light with that cpu if there's no video output.

I'd wait until in windows, dl the latest bios and slap it on a USB stick. Plug that in and reboot to bios, and update bios by ezflash tool, pointing at the usb.

Hopefully that'll fix that bug. I'd also be keeping an eye out for a decent reliable psu, that Aerocool is on a timer....

Thank you for detailed response.

Yeah I am keen to buy a new psu however I don't have money right now. But I will be on the hunt to buy one.

Hopefully the BIOS update will help

Kubsy

Prominent
Jun 7, 2020
Update: I've resat gpu and updated BIOS and I think that it solved the issue because I restarted my computer 4 times and displayed everything successfully. Thank you guys for help and extra information :)