Question Problem installing AMD drivers for a Radeon 6600 on a HP Z800

doug_c

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
I installed my new AMD Radeon 6600 into my HP Z800.

The computer booted and I got into Windows with the generic drivers working okay with the new GPU. I then ran AMDs driver install software for the GPU and it was installing. About 50% into the install the screen went black and there was no output from the GPU to the monitor.

I thought it might just be part of the process and gave it about an hour. Still black screen and no HDD activity so I had to shut down with the power button.

Two reboots and the same thing. The HP initial boot screen showed up so the GPU was working, but then part of the way through the system loading the screen went black again and stayed black.

So the old card went back in and I booted up and same thing twice. The HP screen was there then the output from the GPU to monitor was gone.

Finally on the third boot it made it into Windows.

Any advice on where to go from here. I have DDU downloaded, should I remove all the AMD drivers that might be the issue and go from there.

thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Use DDU and remove all GPU drives from your platform, then manually install the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. BIOS updated on your prebuilt?

Just a rule of thumb, after reading through this thread of yours, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors for your devices, you either have the wrong PSU to work with or the wrong components for your PSU. Adapters have always been the cause of much doom stories out there. Just stating that in case you smell something burning in your rig.

doug_c

Reputable
Oct 26, 2018
Use DDU and remove all GPU drives from your platform, then manually install the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. BIOS updated on your prebuilt?

Just a rule of thumb, after reading through this thread of yours, if your PSU lacks the necessary connectors for your devices, you either have the wrong PSU to work with or the wrong components for your PSU. Adapters have always been the cause of much doom stories out there. Just stating that in case you smell something burning in your rig.
I checked here earlier on the PSU compatibility and was told that a two 6-pin to a one 8-pin adapter would work with the 1,100 watt PSU.. It would prevent any power spikes.

No burning smell or anything when I pulled the new GPU to put the old one back in.