problem installing an SSD

Ferr986

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hello.

I got a new SSD but I have some problems installing it.
I disconnected the old HDD, pluged the SSD as usual, but when I start my computer... nothing happens. Not even the BIOS loads.
Switching back to the old HDD makes everything work as usual.
Anyone have any idea what could it be?

Solution
Try this as this is what I do.
1) I leave on the SSD.
2) I set the Min and Max to the same value (I do this even for HDD).
3) For 8 or more gigs of RAM, I set the min and max both to 1024 mb

temporarily, for 4 gigs of ram set the Min and max both to 2048 mb. If this is not enough the only thing is that you will get an "out of memory" error message (no biggy. Just go back in and try 3072, still get the message then 4096.
PS - windows set the max to 6 gigs
Then when you do up your ram to 8 gigs drop it back t 1024.
So with 8, or 16 gigs just set it to NONE, there are a few programs that will balk if NO page file, even if they do not need it.

as to use the SSD or the HDD, Generally only a small performance hit if on HDD depends one...

Ferr986

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
No, it did not clone it. I wanted to do a fresh install but of course I cant because computer will not boot if I plug the SSD. For that same reason I did not change it to AHCI, BIOS wont load too.

ShadeTreeTech

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
If the system won't POST with the drive connected in, there probably is a short in the drive. Yes, an electrical short from a component can stop proper signalling through a mainboard and stop it from POSTing. It also could be issues with the controller on the drive. This is not that unusual, probably 1 in 50 HDD or SSD failures will be with the controller, which is causing issues with the BIOS finishing the POST. It could be just a firmware issue, but unlikely. If you want to double check yourself, remove the drive and swap it into a test bed. If it also fails to POST, there you go. However, if it successfully POSTs, it is probably a incompatibility with the firmware and the BIOS. Check of updates of either to clean up communication issues between the two.

Amad102

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

thank you.. did not know this.

Most likey you have a defective SSD. Bios setting if AHCI, ide, or sata should NOT prevent post. The two main problems are
1) The SSD is loading your + 5 V. SSDs do not use the +12V and +5 current should NOT load the 5V rail as the current is normally less than 1/2 Amp. +5V rail is capable of 10->20Amps. But if +5 is shorted at SSD that would prevent posting.
2) the internal Controller is defective in such a manner that it is "Killing" the MB drive controller preventing the post.
Question, with the SSD connected, do the Fans come on for a very short time and then stop.

One test that you could try - requires a powered USB hub (about 5 bucks) and a sata->usb cable (also about ->10 bucks). Handy to have anyway.
1) reason for a powered USB Hub is so that the +5 Volts is supplied by the Hub AC adaptor. Since the +5V i a possible problem you do not want to try powering up the SSD using the computer USB port +5V.
2) With the system powered up using the HDD.
... Connect the SSD, using the sata->usb cable.
.. then connect the SB hub to a usb port on computer.
Can you now see the Drive. NOTE: may not see it in my computer as the drive has not been initialized and partitioned so my need to go to computer management/disk management. (Rt click on My computer and select "Manage" then select disk management.
** If it does NOT show up:
.. Disconnect, remove, repackage and RMA/Return the SSD as defective.

** if it does work, then most likely a bios conflict and as othes posted may need to update your MB bios.

PS often helps for these kind of problems if you list the MB make/model.

Ferr986

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Thanks guys.

I went to the store and explained the problem. They didnt know wtf was going on, but they gave me a new SSD to try and this one works...

I dont know what the problem was but atleast now everything works, thanks everyone for your help!

Ferr986

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Thanks!!
As for now Im very happy with it. It was really fast to put my system as it was before due to the fast installs and such.
I would like to ask one last thing. I have read all the procedures I should have to do to make my new SSD last longer, but I was thinking about the page file. Should I really move it to my old HDD?
As I see it, leaving it on my SSD could give me some performance boost if needed compared to the HDD. I really dont know if my computer will use it much, currently I have 4 GB of RAM, I plan on upgrading to 8 in a month or two. I dont think I do anything really RAM intensive, just the tipical usage (browse, music and gaming).

Try this as this is what I do.
1) I leave on the SSD.
2) I set the Min and Max to the same value (I do this even for HDD).
3) For 8 or more gigs of RAM, I set the min and max both to 1024 mb

temporarily, for 4 gigs of ram set the Min and max both to 2048 mb. If this is not enough the only thing is that you will get an "out of memory" error message (no biggy. Just go back in and try 3072, still get the message then 4096.
PS - windows set the max to 6 gigs
Then when you do up your ram to 8 gigs drop it back t 1024.
So with 8, or 16 gigs just set it to NONE, there are a few programs that will balk if NO page file, even if they do not need it.

as to use the SSD or the HDD, Generally only a small performance hit if on HDD depends one how often windows accesses it.
With my three systems (two with 8 gigs ram and one with 16 gigs), I have never received a "Out-of-memory" error with the min and max both set to 1024 mbs AND 1 gig less space on my SSD is NOT a biggy.
Reason for setting min and max to same value is that it stops windows from auto adjusting the size up and down on the fly.

Solution