Problem installing CPU in X58 Platinum mobo

bdeen

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I recently bought a barebones kit containing an MSI X58 Platinum motherboard and a Core i7 920 processor, and am having difficulties inserting the processor into the motherboard; in particular, after setting the processor in place, I am unable to close the load lever down on top of it. I've uploaded a picture of the issue I am having at http://bdeen.hostcell.net/motherboard.JPG ...it seems like a stupid problem, but has me completely stumped, as the processor really seems to be in place properly (it is oriented properly and fits well). Without the load lever clamped down, I can't install the processor cooling fan, so I can't really go anywhere from here. I've called MSI support twice but they have no idea what the problem is, and just recommended returning the motherboard and processor. So I thought I would post here to see if anyone has had a similar problem and knows a simple solution.

Welcome to the forums!

The easiest way to do this is to just show you....

installLGA1366_2143.jpg

installLGA1366_2145.jpg

installLGA1366_2157.jpg

installLGA1366_2158.jpg

installLGA1366_2159.jpg

installLGA1366_2161.jpg

installLGA1366_2162.jpg

From http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2385&page=4

Best Luck!

bdeen

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Thanks a lot for the quick response. Where I'm at basically looks like picture #5. It seems like I have to apply a good amount of force to get the little lever even close to the motherboard, though, and my understanding was that one should have to apply very little force in inserting a CPU...does this sound normal to you?

It can take some force to close it, nothing excessive though.
Make sure you have the CPU properly orientated in the slot (3rd and 4th fotos).
It may help to press down on the load plate with your finger while lowering the lever.

If it feels like you have to force it, stop, disassemble and start over.
Until you get around to installing the stock Hs you should not have to force anything.

GoldenShadow

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Its not as fragile as you are made to believe, if you know its in correctly, that pressure required to close that last locking arm is to keep the CPU firmly in place. I had a similar concern, I just built my system with the same motherboard and a core i7 920. I just put it all the way down and it just works.