Problem installing External HD

I'm trying to install a Western Digital 80g USB HD in an external case. It
doesn't seem to want to be installed. Could be the instructions (screen
shots are close but not exactly what I'm looking at on my WinXP SP2 comp) or
it could be op error.

But - I ran into some info saying you could not have more then four IDE
drives. My question is - is that my problem? I have the following drive
setup:
A:/ - Floppy
C:/ - Standard boot containing OS
Second 40 g HD partitioned in D,E,F and G drives
H:/ CD burner
I:/ DVD burner

This setup works well - just doesn't seem to want me to add the External.

Would appreciate any suggestions;

Thx
Dave

I have a similar configuration...

A:\ floppy
C:\ 40 Gb boot
D:\ 100 Gb storage
E:\DVR
F:\DVD+/- RW
H:\ 120 Gb External USB Hard Drive

The beauty of Xp Pro.... is that you do not need to install any drivers with
a true External USB drive.

I would check the following:
A) the external USB case you have
B) the connection that you are making inside the external USB case
C) the jumpers on the HD may be an issue..... you may need to experiment
with those. Master / Slave / Cable Select

I hope it helps

"Dave B" wrote:

> I'm trying to install a Western Digital 80g USB HD in an external case. It
> doesn't seem to want to be installed. Could be the instructions (screen
> shots are close but not exactly what I'm looking at on my WinXP SP2 comp) or
> it could be op error.
>
> But - I ran into some info saying you could not have more then four IDE
> drives. My question is - is that my problem? I have the following drive
> setup:
> A:/ - Floppy
> C:/ - Standard boot containing OS
> Second 40 g HD partitioned in D,E,F and G drives
> H:/ CD burner
> I:/ DVD burner
>
> This setup works well - just doesn't seem to want me to add the External.
>
> Would appreciate any suggestions;
>
> Thx
> Dave

There can be no more than 4 IDE devices per IDE controller (two channels
with two IDE devices each one). Single USB root supports upto 128 USB
devices connected.

Please provide more specific details.

Not sure what more details you are asking for? Looks like I have 2 IDEs on
each controller - C/D-G on primary, H/I on secondary. USB doesn't count.
Is that correct??
Dave

"Jetro" <somewhere@internet.space> wrote in message
> There can be no more than 4 IDE devices per IDE controller (two channels
> with two IDE devices each one). Single USB root supports upto 128 USB
> devices connected.
>
> Please provide more specific details.

Correct.
Details: what you get when plug USB enclosure in. Did you power up the
enclosure?

Thanks Black Whatever

That was it. Jumpers. It's a WD 80 g, but the jumper setting WD specified
didn't work either.

But I'm in business again

Thx again
Dave

"BlÄckCaT" <BlckCaT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar configuration...
>
> A:\ floppy
> C:\ 40 Gb boot
> D:\ 100 Gb storage
> E:\DVR
> F:\DVD+/- RW
> H:\ 120 Gb External USB Hard Drive
>
> The beauty of Xp Pro.... is that you do not need to install any drivers
> with
> a true External USB drive.
>
> I would check the following:
> A) the external USB case you have
> B) the connection that you are making inside the external USB case
> C) the jumpers on the HD may be an issue..... you may need to experiment
> with those. Master / Slave / Cable Select
>
> I hope it helps
>
> "Dave B" wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install a Western Digital 80g USB HD in an external case.
>> It
>> doesn't seem to want to be installed. Could be the instructions (screen
>> shots are close but not exactly what I'm looking at on my WinXP SP2 comp)
>> or
>> it could be op error.
>>
>> But - I ran into some info saying you could not have more then four IDE
>> drives. My question is - is that my problem? I have the following drive
>> setup:
>> A:/ - Floppy
>> C:/ - Standard boot containing OS
>> Second 40 g HD partitioned in D,E,F and G drives
>> H:/ CD burner
>> I:/ DVD burner
>>
>> This setup works well - just doesn't seem to want me to add the External.
>>
>> Would appreciate any suggestions;
>>
>> Thx
>> Dave

FWIW - I have XP Home, but I didn't have to install any drivers either.
Very Handy.