Problem Installing my Samsung 960 EVO SSD into my Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7's M.2 slot

MaXxamillion04

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I just bought a brand new rig for gaming, part by part, but my motherboard doesn't recognize the Solid State is even inserted. There isn't any option in the BIOS to mess with the M.2 ports(there are two) and I have tried both of them to no avail. It doesn't recognize there is an NVMe drive inserted, there isn't an option to boot from it, and Windows 10 installer(on a UEFI formatted flash drive) does not find it as a drive either. Gigabyte online support is slow, and I have not had a chance to call them about it. I also do not have another computer on hand to test the drive with. It does get warm when it is plugged in, which I thought was strange because it isn't doing anything.

I have already updated the BIOS to F4.

Any ideas? Any others with this issue?

MaXxamillion04

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Well, I have had a development. Just powering on my desktop without the graphics card in, my mobo was able to find the SSD(spontaneously, this was not the case yesterday), and I was able to install windows and then boot from it. However, when I plugged my graphics card in again, it could no longer locate the SSD. The graphics card is a Gigabyte GeForce 1080 Windforce, in the x16 PCIe slot, and I am using the lower M2 slot, which shouldn't interfere with it :/ I am still puzzled.

MaXxamillion04

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Ugh, that was the only time my PC has even recognized the SSD. I plugged the graphics card in, then the SSD disappeared, and now I have removed the graphics card again, and the SSD is still gone like it was before, not recognized in BIOS or anywhere -.-

MaXxamillion04

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I have checked the issue of lanes, but I am not using the PCIe slot that shares lanes with the M.2 slot. There is another M.2 slot closer to the CPU that shares lanes with SATA ports, but that M.2 slot has not worked either.

hdle

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Were you able to fix the issue?

I am trying to use the 960 EVO 500GB version on the MSI Z270 SLI Plus with no luck. I have tried updated firmware (4/5/2017), different recommended settings. I tried two board and two NVMe device. I ask because I was going to return the MSI board for the 2nd time and switch to a gigabyte.

mrfollis

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012