Problem installing os, extremely frustrating!

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
So after hours of work spent building this computer, and working out the little kinks, I finally have it working. I inserted the Windows XP disc that I had, and it took me to the setup. Upon getting to the option of hitting enter to install the OS, I did so. It then told me that no XP CD was in a drive that was recognized (which is surprising, due to the fact that it is clearly reading the CD and it says WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION on the top of the screen during this process). I tried 2 different XP cd's and it still won't work. I decided to F3 and shutdown the system and come back to it later, only to find that now I can't do anything. I just get my XFX screen (since I'm using an XFX 750i), and then it proceeds to a black, blank screen with a blinking _ . I can't get into the setup, or do anything. It is pretty much unresponsive to any keyboard commands. I disconnected the hard drive just to see if the Windows CD would boot, which it did, but I obviously can't install it without a hard drive. I'm not sure what to do at this point, because with my hard drive connected I am just taken to a blank unresponsive screen. =(

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
nope lol. but like, how do i go about getting there if the its unresponsive? im really noob to this so i cant help it, but do i just leave the hard drive plugged in and disconnect the cd drive in order to do this?

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
okay....so like, how do i get into the bios setup? like i said, no keyboard commands are working at any point. unless there is something i need to specifically do to avoid that problem from occuring

jblock2490

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
actually daship, my motherboard conveniently doesnt come with a manual. only a quick install guide. and yeah, no keyboard commands are working at the boot

well if you dont get the bios splash screen that lists all the items in the computer , and you dont get a single beep from the internal speaker you connected then it isnt POSTing

and thats a hardware issue .

The first thing to try would be to clear the CMOS [ bios] It may be a set of jumpers you short , but you can also do this by removing the small battery on the mb for a few minutes .

Reinstall the battery and try to restart

If you get the BIOS screen then hit the DEL key and you are in

PS dont leave the windows disk in the drive while you do this