[SOLVED] Problem installing Windows 10 on Samsung 970 EVO NVMe

Oct 21, 2020
I trying a clean install of Win10 Pro (downloaded from MS website) from USB to Samsung 970 EVO Plus. Disconnected all other HDD & SSD. PC boots from the USB and Installation starts but stops when it comes to choosing target disk for installation. I cannot see my 970 EVO in the list.

Processor - i5 8400k
Motherboard - MSI z370 tomahawk
SSD M.2 - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB
HDD 1 TB
Graphics card - MSI GTX1070 TI Duke

Solution
Before installing windows go to the BIOS settings and see if there you can see (SSD samsung evo...). If not try reconnecting the cable of your SSD.
its an nvme drive, no cables

How new is the win 10 installer?

do you have the latest bios on motherboard? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

nvme drives can show in a storage area in some bios. on front page of EZ mode in his bios it has a storage heading so i expect it shows there.

his bios doesn't have a CSM only mode, choices are either UEFI only or UEFI/Legacy (see page 52 of manual)

Since its a new drive it could be a matter of updating bios or the installer not having drivers for it. WIn 10 20H2 was released this week so I would make a...
Oct 21, 2020
So you can't see it in bios?
But you can see it in Windows?

Can you see it in bios when the windows hdd is connected?

(When I try to install windows, I disconnect the HDD)

I can't see it in the windows 10 pro installation, choose it to install it there
But in the windows 10 pro installed in the HDD, I can see it

Soortt

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
(When I try to install windows, I disconnect the HDD)

I can't see it in the windows 10 pro installation, choose it to install it there
But in the windows 10 pro installed in the HDD, I can see it
Before installing windows go to the BIOS settings and see if there you can see (SSD samsung evo...). If not try reconnecting the cable of your SSD.
If nothing happens, send it back for RMA.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
When I put the Windows OS in CSM it appears, in UEFI it does not
No matter what drive you connect, it should show up in bios (UEFI).
If it shows up in Windows, then it will show up in bios.
If it shows up in Windows then maybe you are looking in the wrong places in bios.
You should see it in the section called Boot.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its an nvme drive, no cables

How new is the win 10 installer?

do you have the latest bios on motherboard? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

nvme drives can show in a storage area in some bios. on front page of EZ mode in his bios it has a storage heading so i expect it shows there.

his bios doesn't have a CSM only mode, choices are either UEFI only or UEFI/Legacy (see page 52 of manual)

Since its a new drive it could be a matter of updating bios or the installer not having drivers for it. WIn 10 20H2 was released this week so I would make a new installer on USB and see if you get any further.

I doubt its the drivers on win 10 installer though as I have win 10 on a 970 Evo plus in this PC running gpt. so it should work.

You shouldn't need to swap to legacy to boot from nvme, especially since nvme didn't exist when legacy did. I question that completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soortt
Solution